1930's Radio Tube

(paradox) #1

I just posted a 1930’s car radio tube on the CG Talk 3D forum. There are two pictures in the thread, the first is the tube, the 2nd is the tube without the glass so you can see the internal details. All done in blender except for a little bluring on the edge of the mirror part of the glass done in photoshop. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Paradox

(kerosene) #2

very nice indeed.

i like the details :slight_smile:
keep it going.

(snailrose) #3

rock on…that kicks ass :smiley:

(K-Rich) #4

I agree this image is quite nice… though there is one thing it seems to lack… Shadows… You may want to add a few stratigicly placed shadow only spot lamps… the details are quite nice though.

K-Rich

/me notes alot of images have shadows lacking … Hmmmmm… tute time?

(paradox) #5

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the comliments. K-Rich, thanks for pointing out the shadows. Actually there is a subtle shadow but it is perhaps too subtle as it blends in with the wood texture a little too much
I got caught up in the details, the textures and the lighting that I kind of overlooked the shadows. Because of the soft lighting they became a little too subtle. I will probably fix this later and will put a new version on my site when I get it set up next month.

Paradox

(S68) #6

Very nice,

I like it, It reminds me my parent’s radio set :slight_smile:

This is something you should try to export to lightflow :wink:

Stefano

(paradox) #7

Thanks for the suggestion S68 I’ll consider it as I was thinking of trying Lightflow anyway. Of course I’ll have to build more of the room as right now there is only 1 wall and a bench (floor) area. That is why I didn’t use an env map because it would have picked up alot of blackness. Instead I used a different technique on the mirror part of the tube. For the chrome mirror part I move everything except the wall and bench to another layer, then I took a render of the area from the camera viewpoint. Loaded the picture in photoshop, lowered saturation increased contrast and added a small bit of gaussin blur. Then used that picture as an image map to fake the shiny mirror, chrome effect.

Paradox

(S68) #8

have a look at my LightFlow thread… with only 8 pretty big objects (23kvertexes each) It took 6 hours… ugh!

For the chrome mirror part I move everything except the wall and bench to another layer, then I took a render of the area from the camera viewpoint. Loaded the picture in photoshop, lowered saturation increased contrast and added a small bit of gaussin blur. Then used that picture as an image map to fake the shiny mirror, chrome effect.

Hehe… smart… so you are actually reflecting what it is placed behind… When I want to fake chrome and don’t want to bother I use a ‘universal’ crome envmap I found somewhere… can’t remember the address, but if you need… (It is the one in the CBA chrome logo on my site :wink:

Stefano

(paradox) #9

Thanks I did check out your light flow thread but don’t remember if I posted a reply. But in case I didn’t - I liked them alot.

And I will check out your chrome texture. It is kind of funny that my technique actually was reflecting the background in the front but it seemed to work for the effect I wanted. I also sometimes use images of old factorys, a technique I learned from (damn can’t remember right now)
but he is the one who did the stone face in the gallery and the cool looking alien with a chrome collar. Its good to know more than one way to do something.
Paradox
I remember now the artist with the technique of using old factory pictures for chrome was Fender Blender. He posted a comment about it once on the Blender Forums.
Paradox

(sten) #10

Love to see old stuff rendered…keep it up, would be fun to see if you can make it with Lightflow

ztonzy

(paradox) #11

Thanks for the comments Stonzy, well thats 2 for trying Lightflow, now if I just get the time I will have to check it out. I think my next picture needs to be a little more unusual or artistic or abstract, but this one was fun and I learned alot from doing it.

Paradox