2.40, 2.41 - OSX 10.3.9 audio crash still occuring

Still fighting multiple crashes when animating with an audio track in Blender.

Downloaded 2.41 and just tried moving random bones (using rotation widget), scrubbing the timeline back and forth in the Action window (Note: Autokey is set ON) then I tried to animate… crash.

This now occurs in 2.4alpha2, 2.40 and 2.41 (Mac 10.3.9, Py2.3 version)

If I undo bone movements it causes random (“temporary”) freezes, audio corruption and sometimes precedes a crash. I say “temporary” because the 3D view won’t animate or move on frame advances unless I select a bone and translate it. This will either free the animation up or crash Blender.

I tried making a simple file with just 3 bones and a different audio track. I thrashed it around for a couple of minutes with no problem and whilst performing an “undo” several times didn’t crash it, the audio playback was corrupted. Added more bones and more keys and more trashing and a few undos and it crashed.

I then created a similar file with no audio and did the same thrashing (just advancing and regressing frames whilst rotating bones with autokey ON). I did a multiple “undo” and Blender remained stable. I added an audio track, thrashed and “undo” some more - CRASH!

The crash.log is the same every time and clearly indicates some problem with audio and memory:

Thread 2 Crashed:
0 <<00000000>> 0xffff8a48 __memcpy + 0x2a8
1 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x0007ce10 audio_fill + 0x1ac
2 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x0056ec40 SDL_PrivateSysWMEvent + 0xa35c
3 …pple.audio.units.Components 0x99008c58 DefaultOutputAUEntry + 0x7864
…etc…

I’ve posted a full log to the bug tracker, asked for help on blender.org forums and just now forwarded the log to Apple too but this is getting frustrating now.

Clearly I have an issue with audio but I have no idea where to start looking for an answer to it :frowning:

EDIT: Just tried the original problem file in 2.37a and although it was a mess visually (it’s a 2.4 project) it worked fine doing the same sort of thrashing and undoing as above (admittedly a quick test).