2.40 pre-release alpha1 / Windows

why does it still say 2.39 up in the top right?

EDIT: and wheres the Wave, Build, etc under physics buttons?

Because it’s not 2.40 (yet).

i got an error on startup and it says ‘can’t find MSVCR71.dll’ or something, so i went and downloaded the dll, but i have a question for anyone who knows what this is. should i put it in the blender directory, or the win32 directory?

Look in the EditButtons, under Modifiers.

Ah ic, thanks

Please have a look at the test blend file:
http://home.scarlet.be/~matrix64/images/TEST.blend

When you try to move a vertice in edit mode while the 3 buttons for the subsurf modifier are enabled, it starts acting very weird… Instead, the vertice in the mirrored mesh (alt-d) moves.

There is something weird going on… I’ve been working with blender 2.37a for several months now and this test build of Blender 2.40 is acting weird on my model. Please try it out and let me know what you experience.

My system is:

• Win XP, latest build, latest patches
  • Graphics card: Nvidia GT 6600, latest drivers
  • AMD64, 3500+, 1GB memory

I’m really not kidding about this not working, I’ve tried just about everything with the subsurf buttons… so could it be a bug?

When I try the same with a new blend file, just add a sphere and then try the subsurf modifier, I do not have any problem. I don’t like it that my model is giving problems…I want to be able to ‘upgrade’ too without problems… so I hope somebody can identify the problem in my TEST blend file. Thanks in advance!

I’m really not kidding about this not working, I’ve tried just about everything with the subsurf buttons… so could it be a bug?

I tested the file and experienced the same problems. Blender has now 2 different ways of mirroring, one with the modifier stack and one with Alt-D and Alt-M (‘old’ style mirror). It looks like these two mirror modes don’t behave the same way on subsurf.

great, thanks to all developers!!!

I found some bugs:

-rendering local view: after a render, move the mouse to material window for example. after this f12 will render all the things, not only the local view things (I hate this bug)

-zoom in UV/Image window: continous mode not works, only panning

-UV/Image window: tile mode (view/properties) strange in UV/Image window, but good on the textured model

-UV/Image window: update automatically switched on by default, but the checker missing in the menu

A small, but (I think) very good idea: alt+m in edit mode (merge): we need an option “merge to last selected”

A small, but (I think) very good idea: alt+m in edit mode (merge): we need an option “merge to last selected”
yes, thet would be blender way of targetweld as in max. for the meantine, look here https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36714

but you probably have that already …

Yeah the merge vertice should be just one button. It really interupts the modelling flow when you have to look up alt and the m buttons.

btw are the mouse gesture script going to be implemented in blender 2.40. Then I wouldnt have to look in the keyboard at all. Then the modelling flow wouldnt be interupted. If you know what I mean.

Um… Blender has had gestures for a while… or are you talking about something different?

Also, I merge using WKEY. If I’m doing a series of merges, when I hit W, it goes right to the last command I used, so it’s pretty fast for me at least.

Yeah there is a problem. I alt-d’ed and mirrored a half of a cube. The mirror half does not match it’s subdivision cage with it’s instanced half. And the Edit mode cage button seams to cause the problem that your file demonstrated. Make a bug report.

I was reading about the new 3ds Max 8 features, their all pretty much features were getting now, although theres one on page two of that article the point to point seam selector for UVW mapping.
This seems like it would be really usefull and simple to add? do we have something like this yet?

Yup, I got exactly the same thing if anyone has got any ideas on how to solve it any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah there is a problem. I alt-d’ed and mirrored a half of a cube. The mirror half does not match it’s subdivision cage with it’s instanced half. And the Edit mode cage button seams to cause the problem that your file demonstrated. Make a bug report.[/quote]
FWIW, try doing the mirroring with the new Mirror modifier, rather than using the ALT+D method and see if that helps at all.

I applied the mirror modifier first to a half of a cube. For some reason it made an extra duplicate of itself. Then I applied the Subdivision Mod. I selected the duplicate mirror object in Edit mode and deleted it. Now everything works. Thanks for the tip.

Let’s make this the new working method.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71

winnt/system, windows/system or application directory should do the trick … i’m having it in system.

edit:
@merge vertices - I strongly believe it was about a ‘missing mode’ [ merge to active vertex ] - blender’s alias of targetweld, and NOT about merging without popups. so you would select a redundant vert, then select the one you want merge_to, and press alt-m-3. Needless to say, UV coords should get reevaluated, too.

this mode would usually get used in mesh cleanup efforts for lowpoly models, hence UV preservation should be taken care of.

I applied the mirror modifier first to a half of a cube. For some reason it made an extra duplicate of itself. Then I applied the Subdivision Mod. I selected the duplicate mirror object in Edit mode and deleted it. Now everything works. Thanks for the tip.

Let’s make this the new working method.

Please try the same on my TEST.blend … for some reason the vertices do not move while in edit mode. I have to get out of editmode and back in to see changes. I tried with all the buttons activated and also with the order of the modifiers.

Just export your object as a wavefront .obj then import it back again. This should fix any weirdness. After you do this add the modifiers.

No, no, no! We don’t want a Blender that only works if you use 2 or 3 other apps to keep it firing on 2 cylinders.

Wim… I tried it on the 2.40 alpha and 2 other builds and the problem is the same. Also, if you go into edit mode and try to close the Subsurf Mod it crashes Blender. I can’t find the problem but Theeth and co would definitely like to see that .blend cause it’s bad news.

%<