2.46 Background Image Problem

So glad to see the release of 2.46, such a great leap forward for Blender :smiley:

Sadly though, this problem has been present for me in all the test builds of 2.46 and I was hoping it’d be ironed out but since it hasn’t, there must be a problem at my end.

When I use a background image, it first displays correctly, in the background of the 3D view like normal. But if I zoom the camera in using mouse, trackwheel, ± keys or any other method it stretches and distorts. Here are a few screenies showing what I see when I zoom into the image.

My system specs are:
Macbook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
2GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
OSX Leopard

I’ve installed 2.46 onto my pc and the problem isnt there, but since that is an old/rubbish machine I must use my macbook for all my work.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Laxy,

Works for me on Ubuntu Linux.

I am getting the same error on my Macbook but not on my iMac G4. It must be a Leopard issue.

My system specs are:
Macbook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
OSX Leopard

iMac G4
Power PC 1.25 GHz
1GB RAM
GeForce Fx 5200 64MB
OSX 10.4.11

I agree that it must be a Leopard issue, and unless I’m crazy it was happening in 2.45 for me too.

I didn’t have a problem with 2.45. I know there was some kind of fix for UI troubles in Leopard using Xcode but I don’t know if this would fall under that same solution.

Yeah, certainly this problem wasn’t around in 2.45. If I’ve needed to use background images, I just used 2.45 and imported my models into 2.46. :slight_smile: Shall try that fix asap.

Many thanks, community :slight_smile:

Cheers - new to blender. After a lot of thought and trials I decided to commit to blender and tonight was gonna start modeling. Until I went to load a ref image :o) Talk about a short lived experience…

MacBookPro 17HD 2.6GHz
4gigs of ram
GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB)

I think that the background image problem is a combination of Leopard and the Macbook GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. I didn’t have the background problem with 2.45.

Try downloading it here (http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.45/) before you give up on Blender completely.

I tried 2.45 and it works fine.

I tried 2.46 on my other MacBookPro (os 10.5.2, 2.4Ghz, RadeonX 1600) and it works fine there too. So obviously something is up with the GeForce 8600M and 2.46 when it comes to background images. Actually if you play for a while you can get a zoom that the image looks fine (at least on my end).

Anyway, I hope a solution comes along. In the meantime I will use the old MacBookPro and 2.46.

Thanks

Just for info: i could open all my 2.45 files in 2.46 (no dynamics involved, though) and all went well. So to get both of the 2 you can open 2.45 AND 2.46, use whatever works the best, save and close the 2.45 file and open it in 2.46 adding new features in there.
Good workflow.

P.S. I have 3x2.45, 2x2.46RC2 and 1x2.46 on the same disk and all can work in background jobs painlessly.

I installed Blender on a friend’s new Mac Pro (the beefy high-end model). Its a badass machine but still had this same problem :frowning: It had the Geforce 8800 GT 512mb card.

Does anyone have a mac with leopard and an ATI card? Might narrow down where this problem is coming from.

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed someone above already mentionned an ATI card.

Forget what I said about Leopard. I think we have our culprit.
Get the torches and pitchforks!!!

i agree, i have a Geforce 8400M in my winXP notebooks and get some annoing UI bugs.

ill file this under minor inconvienience tho, can wipe it with my mouse^^

I’ve recently migrated to an intel based mac with a GeForce 8800 GS card and can confirm that the issue shows up in 2.46 but not 2.45. Looks like I’ll be doing most of my modeling work in 2.45 and finishing in 2.46 until the Blender gurus come up with a fix. Didn’t notice the bug at all on my older PPC machine. Hopefully we won’t have to wait long.

At the risk of asking a stupid question; has anyone actually reported this bug?

I hate to rain on a rained on parade, but
I’m not having that problem.
Leopard 10.5.4
Blender 2.46 (and 2.47)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

I would say that this clinches it as a graphics card incompatibility problem and not a Leopard thing.

I have exclatly this problem… how can we fix it?

I would think changing out the graphics card to ATI Radeon would be a start.

“The patient has numbness in his left arm? I call for a heart transplant!”

Buying a new graphics card would be dangerously hit or miss. While it seems the most likely cause at this point that, we don’t know for sure–and that’s a potentially big investment to have it not work. Plus, 2.45 worked fine for me on my machine (see below) with the same graphics card.

I have to believe that something in the source code went wonky when they were building 2.46. My advice would be to get 2.45 and bounce back and forth. Especially since 2.50 is (supposedly) coming out in November/December and will (supposedly) change everything.

Macbook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz
4GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT 512MB
OSX 10.5.2