2.49 to 2.5 Character Anim Question

I am at the point where I am ready to start working on a short. I started modeling a character and he mostly looks like crap but atleast he looks like something. Which is encouraging. As I am almost done with this first model I thought I would start looking into rigging and animating him as a way to encourage myself to push forward. Everything I have done is in 2.49 but I am looking to reuse this character and other characters and sets and with 2.5 over the horizon I am worried about things breaking between 2.49 and 2.5. I know almost nothing about rigging currently and finding current tutorials that are complete is challenging enough but now I am worried that I will put all this effort into this rig or rigs and have it break when I eventually move to 2.5 Can anyone tell me what I can avoid so this wont happen or if this is just inevitable? 2.5 final is very far away but I would hate to put all this work in now and then either be “stuck” with 2.49 or face redoing all of this down the road. Any rigging pro’s that can either confirm or allay my fears?

Personally, I would stick to using only basic rigging tools for now, ie bones and constraints. Using scripts at this point is a gamble. See this http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2010-July/028160.html I think they are going with option 3. Of course, people have made shorts already with 2.5, so you can always stick with a specific version and hope there are no showstopper bugs :wink: