2.5 is out! Am I too old for this?

Dear Game Engine freaks
this new version reveals to me my true age…
Anyway, here’s a list of regrets or, in other words, HELP:

There’s an alternative “light” theme available?
Still not Red/Green guide lines in UV Editor!
My beloved shortcuts are gone!
Mouse Look setups/scripts don’t work?!

More to come I’m sure!

It’s not your age OTO, lots of people find change hard. Take Facebook for an example, they petition every change that happens.

Keep at it!

Thank you for the support! :wink:
Is it my monitor or the one unit “subdivision” grid is barely visible?
Vehicle Template is not working too, I guess?!

Its not working for me. The builds. They normally do…but for some reason they aren’t I am going to try again…

I feel the same way. I haven’t been with Blender as long as you but I got so used to the old GUI that the new one is kinda freaky. (like its great, I just am not used to it.)

Most of old camera scripts don’t work because of the update in the integrated python, you will see on your old 2.49 it shows several advices of incompatibility whenever using some games, those games simply don’t work on 2.50 unless there is no advice.

A full compatible game should only say “Blender Game Engine Started” and “Blender Game Engine Finished”, if there something in between…

No, it’s not only you OTO, I’m missing the old spacebar menu, I can make new toolbar but CAN’T join them after that, and I don’t know where the hell is the GLSL to activate it! And is nowhere to be found the texture face options (like light, shadow, collition, etc.).

Game engine isn’t suppose to be workable yet

No, it’s not only you OTO, I’m missing the old spacebar menu, I can make new toolbar but CAN’T join them after that, and I don’t know where the hell is the GLSL to activate it! And is nowhere to be found the texture face options (like light, shadow, collition, etc.).

No GLSL and no texface are known but not priority yet, stick with 2.49b for some time. Spacebar will probably come back to add, and search move to ctrl+f, everyone on the mailing list thought it was a good idea at least…

I miss the spacebar thing too. That was probably the most used feature in my workflow.

Oh. And the thing I really miss (don’t know if its just me…) is the ability to decide where your header is.

Can you move it around?

Some of the stuff like GLSL mode you have to switch the renderer mode to BGE, then look in the render panels.

The spacebar thing… use SHIFT-A

glsl, i think is in the “N” properties toolbar
i’ll check

edit: it is :yes:

my projects simply dont start on the new blender, when I press p the blender crashes, ohhh god, I ll need to do all over again???

I thought for sure I’d hate the new GUI… I for one “Jizzed in my pants” when I opened. It looks crazily similar to C4D (which is great for me :D) I love it man! To load GLSL settings change the render engine to game (top bar) and you’ll see GLSL options to the right.

Guys this is amazing! I love it already! As far as the space menu goes, I love the new one better! I’m on a mac and used to spotlight, in blender I press space and type “cube” and enter and wow! I added a cube!

I think it’s very much intuitive (at least for a Mac/C4D user)

I luuurrvveee it!

The new UI is not hard pick back up. You will need to update your scripts for the new API.

To load GLSL settings change the render engine to game (top bar) and you’ll see GLSL options to the right.
But what happens if I want to render in both engines at the same time… like you could in 2.49.b? I mean what happens if you try and render a normal map and then want to hop into the game engine?

Do I have to go and change the rendering engine back to software rendering? If you have to do that, it very user unfriendly and is removing functionality. (pls don’t tell me to dld an alpha and test it out).

edit: nvm I will dld one and try… I guess I just have to get used to changes even if they are not needed.

edit: apparently you can press shift+a to get the menu up instead of space bar.. which is cool but weird cos Shift+A is usually select all. .but whatever

Well I can’t seem to find how to render a normal map in 2.5… but now that they’ve split up the game engine physics settings, they only show up when you select the game engine renderer.

You can no-longer see the physics and the software rendering settings at the same time… should you want you… which is very frustrating… I would really like the physics setting for the game engine to be separate from the whatever render I happen to be using.

To load GLSL settings change the render engine to game (top bar) and you’ll see GLSL options to the right.
No, those “options to the right” are not the GLSL ones for 3D view… they are a selection of what gets used for the final (F12) render. To experience GLSL in the 3D view, hit the N-key and look under display options… it works kind of differently from previous versions… when switched off, the display shows normal map as texture colours in “show textured materials” mode whereas there’s a tickbox for allowing the materials to show in solid mode (not as bumps… just as colour). As usual, the GLSL is really for the “show textured materials” mode.

Just a-key by itself is select all. The shift-a has always been “add” items. Most of us have gotten used to the spacebar and so shift-a has become a forgotten feature. Go on… try it on an older version… “eet’s there I tell you… eet is”. :yes:

Small correction on the above… sometimes I’ve seen normal map colours in GLSL mode, other times solid as expected (when on “textured” mode)… looks like the display engine may be a tad inconsistent and the 3D view doesn’t seem to update straight away. (e.g. need to rotate something or temporatily “P” to play)

Well this is an alpha release… expect a lot of bugs (even in the final release!)

-Mouselook scripts don’t work if you try to move the mouse up and down, and is reversed when moving it left to right.
-A script I had from Social’s FPS template tweaked for the new API doesn’t create a force object on stuff like boxes like it does in 2.49, maybe I should post the script or .blend?

I know Moguri tried to fix the mouselook scripts, but it hasn’t really gotton them working properly, perhaps Benoit can look at it?

@Lancer
If you change the options using the properties that you get with the N key. It also changes the settings in the other panel.
@Cyborg Dragon
The problems with the mouse has already been reported.