2.5 Keybind changes - help! (Multiple Vertice Selection different?!)

Ok; since I’m now using a new comp, I decided to up the version of Blender I’m using. Right now, I am NOT at all happy with the GUI changes (why? There was NOTHING at all wrong with the previous GUI)

Oh well, I can get used to it I guess, my biggest issue is that some of the keybinds have been changed. For example; I can’t just hit space-bar and add a cube, or circle, or anything else… now I have to hunt for it (ughs…) but that’s besides the point, if I can easily change that then great.

The issue is selecting vertices, before, in edit mode for 2.49, I used to just need to double tap my B key to get a circular selection tool, but double taping the key does nothing and I’m stuck with the annoying rectangular selection box which DOES NOT help when I’m trying to select vertices on multi-vertice objects.

Was this capability REMOVED or was it just changed to another key?

Nevermind; after trying EVERY FREAKING KEYBIND I found what I was looking for. The keybind in question was reassigned to the C-key…

Umm… can someone explain that kind of logic to me, why assign something that required to tap’s of one key… to another key? You’re basically taking away one other key to be used for another function…

If you are having trouble finding tools and shortcuts in 2.5 you can always use the search function and the keymap search to find them. In this case typing circle would give you the desired result.

Umm… can someone explain that kind of logic to me, why assign something that required to tap’s of one key… to another key? You’re basically taking away one other key to be used for another function…

What makes more sense: pressing once for a function, or pressing twice? And does ‘Circular select’ not start with a ‘C’?

Nevermind; after trying EVERY FREAKING KEYBIND I found what I was looking for.

And did you even bother to look in the ‘select’ menu in the 3d View header? You can find all the select functions there, obviously. Or the search tool, as mentioned.

Most of 2.5 is a huge improvement. If you disagree, you can just stick with 2.49

Actually, for me, the double pressing made more sense, because i could rest my finger on the b key.

btw: binding by first letter doesn’t seem a very good argument - would you play an ego shooter binding left to L and right to R? I hope they rethink some of the bindings or make them customizable.

Actually, for me, the double pressing made more sense, because i could rest my finger on the b key.
That’s only valid if circle select and border select are the ONLY functions being used, which is very unlikely. Single press still beats double press. If not then we should consider pressing 3 or 4 times to get a certain function.

btw: binding by first letter doesn’t seem a very good argument - would you play an ego shooter binding left to L and right to R?
R u kidding me? Left and Right are directions. Arrows on the keyboard represent directions.
So what could represent Circle select, Border select, Vertex paint, Select All, Extrude, Grab, Rotate, Scale, etc?

Your argument is flawed because the comparison is wrong (apples and oranges).
Your argument is flawed because if you criticize 1 shortcut for a method, you have to criticize all the shortcuts that use the same method. It’s a shame we can’t have all shortcuts using that method.

I hope they rethink some of the bindings or make them customizable
They are customizable…

Well, of course it becomes unpractical , when there are more options.

Your argument is flawed because the comparison is wrong (apples and oranges).

It’s not as flawed as you might think, because in my head G is for Move - and since i’m not a native speaker most of the keybinds don’t go along with the “name” of the function anyway.

But I never had a problem with that. I thought: Ok, G is good enough, they could have made it F, so that it’s on a better key.

But when it came to Alt+M or Strg+P and so on, i thought: “That’s not very useful, why not put it somewhere on the left?”
Especially with the E key, I think this system screws up, because it got 4 (? i think) different combinations/functions and I never know, is it STRG, Alt or Shift.

But i can easily imagine, that this discussion has been made before - so I’ll just take the keys as they come…

And now that I’m not a noob anymore, i might even consider this:

They are customizable…

Thx - saw that right after :wink:
(Had already asumed so, but never really checked.)