2.5 lamp procedural textures exist or not ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]128190[/ATTACH]in 2.49 we had procedrual texture for lamp like hemi lamps

see pic

do we have this in 2.5 ?

i loaded the file from 2.49 and seem to work in 2.5
but there are not texture for lamp
but it works
and the texture seems to be represented by an image texture

but where do you get theses images and apply it to a lamp in 2.5 ?

thanks happy 2.5

Hi,

Blender can have procedural texture applied to it in 2.5 a well, just select a lamb object then click the texture icon and add an image/procedural texture. Then when you render the light will cast that texture.

Attached is a blend file that has a procedural clouds texture set on it from within Blender 2.5. The cube in the scene is just a normal blank white cube. The cloud texture is being cast by the lamp.

Attachments

Lamp Clouds.blend (422 KB)

ok but in 2.49 there was a list of textuer for lamps
and when i loaded 2.49 file in 2.5 it work ok

but now where do you get theses images for lamp textures in 2.5?
look at texture names in pic from 2.49

thanks

Hi,

Attached another blend file, this time with multiple textures assigned to the lamp object, and a picture showing the drop down list of all the textures you can choose from when assigning to a texture slot. You get to that list by clicking on the little red and white check icon where you can alter a textures name. When you click on the icon, it will list all the textures you can choose from. In the screen shot my i-beam cursor (text input icon cursor) is position at the place you have to click.

Attachments

Multitexture Lamp.blend (431 KB)

Version 2.49 has different category of textures; Mat, World, Lamp, and Brush. Blender will categorize it for you, if you add texture in materials buttons texture tab “first” then go to texture buttons and “add” texture there. For a long time I was scratching my head asking question “Why do I need to add twice”? Number of tutorial on the web showed different sequence. It was very confusing!

Now 2.56 seem to be doing the same thing. Texture is categorized. Sequence is fuzzy. For example to add texture for Sculpting, you don’t just go to Properties window and add it there under Texture icon. You need to first go to Sculpting Tray, go to Texture pull down, and hit “New” there first. Then you go add texture under Properties. If you do that in sequence, you will get Brush Texture Preview to work properly. Other wise Preview will come out black!

How is Texture categorized in 2.56? How many are there? Only button under texture is “Brush.” Is Lamp Texture same as Material Texture? How about the World texture?

How is Texture categorized in 2.56? How many are there? Only button under texture is “Brush.” Is Lamp Texture same as Material Texture? How about the World texture?

For a lamp texture, select a lamp, add a texture in the texture panel
For a world texture, go to the world settings, add texture in the texture panel.

see pic as i said i append a ifle from 2.49 where i add addeda a lamp texture
so in 2.5 i could see the texture as an image texture.png in teture panel
i this case i add the branche texture for lamp which you don’t find in the mat texture list
see pic

now if you can see it in 2.5 is it possible to add this in 2.5 to a new lamp and how
cause may be this image was imported in 2,5 but don’t really exist as suc!

if you cannot see same list of lamp texture then it was not ported or it is a bug ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]128317[/ATTACH]
Thanks

so is this a bug or it does not really exist in 2.5 yet
or wont be ported from 2.49?

thanks

You’re looking in the wrong place (the texture type, which is also in 2.49).

First select your lamp, then go to the texture properties.

Click on the texture icon NEXT to the word ‘New’ in example below. Then you get your list.

http://www.blenderguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/131.png

This example is shows texture for object, but it shouldn’t make a difference as long as you select the lamp first

i added an area light the added nw texture but i get only the material textures not
the same list then lamp texture in 2.49 ?
hvae you the same list for lamp texture in 2.5 ?

Thanks

Ricky the image you have shown is a list of all the textures used in a 2.49 blend file by all the objects in that blend not a list of premade textures for lamps. If you select another object in that 2.49 blend you will have the same list. Look at the texture names - Divots, Branches, Wood1, Wood2, speckles etc they will be associated with other objects not just lamps. 2.5 has the same texture types as 2.49 - clouds musgrave, blend, stucci etc all the textures in your list will be made up from these basic types.

Bill

PS Maybe you have saved a new default .blend file with some preloaded materials and textures in your 2.49

no look at the lists in pic
the one in left is what you get for material like wood marble voronoi ectt

but the one of the right is only for lamp texture like branches divot wood1 wood2
that’s what you get when you click on the arrow when you have selected a lamp in the lamp panel

don’t know where theses are coming from but do remrember this in 2.49
i did not make anything or change any name this comes with 2.49

so my original question is still where can i get theses lamps texture in 2.5?
cause i cannot get it in 545 so have theses been proted or not or may be it is on the list to do ?

the stanges thing is that in 2.5 when i open up the 2.49 file i can see a lamp texture but it is shown as an image texture
in texture panel!

thanks

so my original question is still where can i get theses lamps texture in 2.5?
cause i cannot get it in 545 so have theses been proted or not or may be it is on the list to do ?

As far as I know they will not be ported to 2.5 since they have never existed in any 2.4x versions I have ever ever used.

[ATTACH]128448[/ATTACH]

how come i get this lamp texture list in my 2.49 see picture i’v shown?

ok i created this file from an older file which comes from an old blender CD

but the fact i have this menu list in 2.49 means that it is part of 2.49 !

ok here is the file in 2.49

try it and select the menu for lamp texture on the right and see the list given by the menu

look on this wiki page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Books/Essential_Blender/11.1.Lighting:_Hands_on

this lamp texture is even describe on the before last light set up
right above the last one for AO at bottom of page
branche texture for lamp!

Thanks

i think i can see what you have done. you’ve loaded the images into blender and then saved it as the default setting, so there available all the time. if you want them there on your computer somewhere so you’ll have to find them just do a search. then once found you can do what you need with them.

i did not load any files theses where in the blend file from the old CD blender in guess

so are theses procedurales texture for lamps or just loaded image texture in the lamp texture channel?

cause if i open a new 2.49 file i cannot see theses textures in lamp texture panel ?

but then this is not clearly indicated in the wiki page for the lamp texture
it looks more like a procedural texture then an image texture that has to be loaded up !

Thanks

so are theses procedurales texture for lamps or just loaded image texture in the lamp texture channel?

Only 1 is a loaded image (named branches), currently used by the lamp (check it in the image editor). All the rest are procedural textures, used by the different meshes in the scene.

cause if i open a new 2.49 file i cannot see theses textures in lamp texture panel?

You have to create them yourself, using procedurals.

Please read my earlier post. There are 2 dropdown lists. One which states the texture TYPES (Cloud, Blend, Image/Movie, Wood, etc) and the other list shows all the textures currently used by all the objects in the scene.

Both lists can be found in both 2.49 and 2.5, and most can be used for meshes, world and lights.