2.5 suggestions (v3) win32 build 878_23406

edit: I’ve been told the original forums are kind of dead so I’m moving to here. http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74256#74256

I edit these now and then as I learn. For reference I’m lead programmer (but do art also) on www.kartsim.com screenshots - http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39101&sid=332e1585d6ec155ef1b0f38f2f3e0dd9
I’m also new to blender and don’t like other 3d modelling apps :slight_smile:

Misc

• On first run open a layout/key config selector with “blender/max/maya/xsi” etc setups. This would greatly help people transition (and stop endless arguments :wink: )

UI

• When tab is open, keep expanded when moving tabs. Or set ‘Open on mouseover’ to default

• Unfolding/folding

• If you unfold a menu and it extends below the screen, scroll the menu panel up. eg In ‘world’ mode open the ‘stamp’ pulldown. Imagine it smoothly scrolling up to show the contents.

• The inverse is true too. When closing something, if it makes a blank space under it, scroll the whole pane down.

• “Open on mouse over” is great (good default I think)

• Make it work for everything eg ‘mode’ menu, tab pulldowns.

• Default the time delay to 1 or 2. Allow it to go lower.

• Check boxes shouldn’t close menu. eg the sculpt menu closes everytime I click a checkbox. Or middle mouse to toggle and keep open.

• Decrease the tooltip popup time (prefs option at least)

Modelling

• Extruding. Pressing e WHILE extruding could place the current and start another extrude. Less clicks

• Multi object edit mode. When multiple objects are selected, allow edit mode to effect them all

• Multires. Show optional ghosted original mesh

Manipulation

• Super select mode! I suggest combining Shift-B marquee mode, ctrl+altmouse click lasso mode and shift multiselect into one streamlined mode. All three modes are inconsistant in their workings and all do similar things is totally seperate ways.

• Test cases. All operations are mainMouse add to selection, altMouse remove, middleMouse invert.
    Shift+mouse drag = marquee.
    Shift+mouse click = single select
    Shift+Ctrl+mouse drag = lasso.

• Disable selecting an axis if it is nearly pointing towards or away from the screen. This is especially troublesome in iso viewports.

• 2 axis plane selector on translate gizmo. I find I use them almost exclusively when available.

• Shift D while moving an object.

• eg placing many trees quickly

• X/Y/Z keys

• Toggle each axis separately. Holding shift is awkward and hidden.

• Option to make them temporary and not a toggle (personal preference, add a prefs option)

• Don’t make user select object first. Currently for fine movement you drag the object and THEN hold fine modifier. This should also work if shift is held first, THEN the user starts dragging the object.

• This effects lots of things in blender (like snap). Default keys won’t work with super select!

• Fine movement. When toggling on and off it snaps back the cursor. Allow an option to not do this.

• Default to left select mode. I think this has been decided according to the wiki. Half the number of clicks is the main reason.

Navigation/Camera

• Viewport rotate. Remove roll by default. Roll isn’t needed most of the time so make it a modifer key or toggle mode in prefs.

• Viewport zoom on selected. Shift+Home? I think Z should be this as Z seems to be somewhat wasted.

• Orbit on raycast. Alt+AltMouse to orbit around mouse hitpoint raycast into the scene. Place 3d cursor there also so doubles as collision based 3d cursor positioning.

• Shift pan/Ctrl zoom

• Make temporary modifier. When let go immediately revert to normal middle mouse pan mode. Don’t force user to reclick middle mouse

• 3d cursor placement. Raycast into the scene.

• Allow viewport manipulation in edit mode with left button select mode.

More advanced stuff

• Depth queues.

• When manipulating objects display a grid similar to the default one snapped to object. Remove when finished.

• Keep the grid snapping lines relative to world to indicate how far it’s moved in what plane etc.

• Allow adjustment of how many units the grid should extend from the object.

• Display a seperate grid for each axis. It could make each axis fade corresponding to the direction you were moving the object to reduce visual noise.

• Realtime shadows in the viewports. Sounds like a gimmick right? No, it provides a VITAL depth queue that Blender is desperately missing. Even if you don’t want shadows in your render.

• Shortcut/tip helper

• Display useful keyboard shortcuts or tips for the context you’re mousing over. eg the viewport, the timeline etc

• This could be a ‘learning mode’ toggle in the help menu.

• First person camera tilt and movement mode. Very very handy. edit: I’ve been told there’s a ‘fly’ mode. It’s not in the view menu though and appears disabled

• Have a collision mode/key.

• Ie when dragging objects raycast/collide with other objects (optionally align to hit objects plane). eg trees on ground. Would combine very well with the ‘shift d’ suggestion. Use bounding sphere collision or convex over raycast.

• In physics tab have a quick way to make an object physical/static so you can drop it. eg For simple, natural alignment of objects in an environment. eg Select some objects, hit ‘run’. Automatically makes anything else static and calculates a general mass from size. Then removes physics on stop. Of course you could individually set up physics but the point is it’s instant.

• Drop the linux naming :evilgrin: use ‘alpha,beta’. All the marketing and word of mouth about 2.5 and it’s going to be called 2.6… hmm Oh, also just call it 3.0 for flips sake :ba:

Bugs

• The manipulation tools are broken in ortho 4 pane mode. Seems to be focused on another pane.
  • Dragging of material nodes seems broken