2.5 will get old window splitting method too???

I really prefer the old way as well.

i don’t even manage to split anything in 2.5 exept 3Dviews.can you help me spliting please?

Heh. Having worked 2.5 rather hard for the last several months, I still find it awkward to grab those corners. Old method made more sense, especially from user interface guidelines. You attention is focused on the window and where you’d like to split it – so you have to entirely change your focus to a corner (only two, also, not all four, so get the right ones!), then perhaps fight with the cursor if you’re near the edge of the screen. Eh. I’m not sure what we’ve gained with this particular feature.

Why not? Have you tried?

Have you?

In 2.49 you had space handlers to trap window events and the “bgl” module for drawing… without those how will you set a hotspot to detect that someone is right clicking along the border of a space?

The new layout engine allows easy drawing of widgets at a high level (button, text field, list pulldown etc…). but not low level access to event handling that this would require…

so you’d have to do it in C

Hmz, I thought the entries below “Screen Editing” could be (ab)used to set a custom menu for screen edges, but apparently it doesn’t work that way.

Well then, let’s request a new feature: the ability to customize clicks on screen edges, so everyone can make their own menus :slight_smile:

New method is MUCH faster. I don’t know if that was the case in Linux, but in Windows, it required a bit of fiddling to get the window to actually part, once you got the double-ended arrow.

Why not let the user decide ? once again …
I mean , give the user the power to decide , drag the corner or RMB , and everyone’s happy again , no more “you’re wrong , i’m right !”.

No keyboard shortcut to remind…

well , i don’t think right mouse button is too hard to remember …

Peace.

I don’t see why they could not do both… Sometimes I like the new tab, and other times it would be much more convenient to just right click where I want a split. Perhaps in a later version they will add it back. It might have something to do with the Durian movie , and the limited time.

Here is a proposal for a solution that takes the best of both worlds:

left click on corner triangles behaves like it does currently
right click on corner triangles to bring up popup with the following options:

• Split window horizontally (brings up horizontal split line on window)
  • Split window vertically (brings up vertical split line on window)
  • Swap windows (Changes cursor to window icon and maybe attaches an alpha image of the window to the cursor.)
  • Pop window out (Instantly pops the window out to it’s new area)

What do you think?

Haven’t really got that used to the 2.5 interface yet, but i’ve managed to figure out how the corner triangles work. While I of course like the old system very much because i’m very used to it and it’s quite practical and fast, I still find the new system satisfactory. The only thing I’d request is the ability to change (increase) the size of it if it’s not overly complicated for some reason. (I’m very fond of the way blender selects vertices without actually have to hit them with the cursor and I’ve got used to not having to be so precise)

With the new method in 2.5 I end up duplicating the window a few times and can never figure out(remember) how to remove them, so I end up reloading my scene. =\ Everything else in 2.5 is brilliant. I’m just confused as to how to remove windows now.

I have this same problem. It’s easy to forget how to remove the window. If it was a keystroke then it would be more memorable. Dragging backward to the adjacent corner is easy to forget.

I know that new way is better and faster, but i find it not intuitive, and not easy for newbies.

Like the LiquidApe’s proposal.

I also prefer the old method. Easy and quick ™.

But the new method is not bad either, just unintuitive and guarantees some unwanted cursor travels. The area used to detect when one want to create/delete a workspace is way too small. Worse for tablet users (yes, i got one, not a bad thing but not the panacea some workers claim to be…). IMHO, this need to be greater and a menu is a better way to comunicate the idea. (In the old version, there’s no doubts about what you need, in the new method is more like a bet: chances are that you will open the transform shelf, chances are that you really open a new workspace, and chances are that the cursor feels called and says “I’m Here!!!” :wink: )

The problem is that we need a coder that agrees to that and can make some changes to bring this back. Nowadays most of the regular developers have their plates more than full…

Looking at the code, it might not be that difficult to add back in… I’ll see what I can do.

LetterRip

Well, at first it was a little getting used to and I subscribe to the complaints mentioned before. However the new system is sleek and I rather have the glitches mentioned before be iron out. I like the old method too, it’s not a show stopper or anything in my view, as long as we could have both methods present.

…but swapping regions is cool, as is “popping” them into new windows!

and the swapping regions isn’t working anymore?

haha,

i’m gratified to find that i’m not a single, lone voice in the dark.

2.5 rocks absolutely and if one had to make the choice between old window splitting OR 2.5, we’d have to ditch window splitting.

but i’m just hoping it need not be a zero sum game.

there are a lot of things to like about blender pre 2.5. it had its own logic but within that system, it was very logical and well ordered.

but alas, for someone unfamiliar with blender but familiar with other apps, much of blender felt very alien.

EXCEPT the window splitting! that was like… a revelation!

but the 2.5 thing, as has been mentioned by others here… kinda STUMPS ME. window splitting was a shining beacon of intuitive familiarity in an otherwise alien app but even after playing with 2.5 for a bit, i do have to stop and think about how this dang thing works!

anyhoo, definitely not a deal breaker. but i’m just hopin’ it’s not impossible to creep back in at some point.

jin

• 1 for the old way or, at least, both of them…