2.5- Would you like to save changes?

i say someone puts the auto ask if you want to save in 2.5, theres been multiple times where ive lose massive progress on a project because i had forgotten to save so a “would you like to save changes?” feature would be nice

While I remember, I’ve been keen to mention that “Recover Last Session” and “Save” are dangerously close together and have caused me to lose work too - particularly if a bit tired at the end of a day and you just miss clicking the right one…

Perhaps a confirm on recovering like “Are you sure you wish to load your previous session? All unsaved work will be lost.”

This will make Blender more professional indeed.

I would like this a lot as well. A lot of the time, I click to close a render window, it takes a moment to respond, so I click again, right after the window closes. Then the render window and Blender close. sad…:mad:

:yes: That has happened to me so many times that now I’m in the habit of dragging the render panel away from the corner before closing it.

P. Monk

LOL. F10 under Output under that little car where you select the number of threads(cpu) you will find 9 boxes. Select one in the middle and deselect all other ones. This will put your render window in the middle of the screen.

i do not like this feature…
you’re supposed to exit blender with ctrl-W, ctrl-Q, not the X on the title bar…
get used to it…

If you’re using teh Windozes, DonationCoder has a utility that can disable the Titlebar X button.

If you’re not supposed to exit using the Titlebar X then it should be disabled. But better than that is making it work the way people expect. Blender shouldn’t force users to learn a different way to exit applications.

forcing you to think before you hit the X button is a good feature…

And if it’s an accident like the case with the render window? :confused: Besides, the X button is a standard method of closing windows on all three of the big OSes. Why shouldn’t people be able to use it?

Honestly, this is something Blender should have had a long time ago.

Adding it to the “User Preference” as an option will make Blender more flexible… :wink:

As an optional feature, yes. There are still those of us who prefer to close blender instantly.

just because it’s the standard doesn’t automatically mean it’s great and we have to do it…
Blender, especially older versions, violate a lot of the “standards”…

seriously, this feature made me always think before closing in any other program instead of relying on the computer to tell me what to do… saving is not the only thing i might wanna do before quitting…

as for the rendering window problem… don’t close it… just hit ESC to put the main window in focus… alternatively, you can choose to render in a UV/Image editor window instead… you can’t use blender during rendering time anyways (yet?)…

i don’t think adding it to the preferences is easy, not without restarting blender anyways (i might be wrong but i suspect openGL lets you control OS windows)… but it might be a good compromise…

By the way if you quit via the X button on the title bar (or the other methods iirc) Blender saves your work to a quit.blend file in your temp dir. Unless you close several Blender windows, then this is usually fine.

Still I agree it would be good to have a dialogue to confirm exit as an option.

zanos…hmm, I always wondered what those buttons did.
it all makes sense now. thanks.

I use Blender 5-7(!) hours per day for 5-6(!!) years.
I never lose any work with this quit method.

I also don’t see the point! I never closed it accidentely…
Make it optional, i have no problem with it, but on default, x should close, the moment it’s pressed. :slight_smile:

don’t be silly, everyone knows your not supposed to close blender, at all! :smiley:

seriously though, I agree it should be optional, and on by default. :slight_smile:
(I’d probably change it though).

Sometimes a bad mouse would jump to the corner by its own self and ruin your work, not that you wanted to close it.