2.57 huge disappointment

Sorry if I singled you out or anything - it’s just that while certain people like certain things, we all like to use the BGE, and so it would follow that everyone will eventually move to 2.57 or up. You don’t have to switch immediately, but 2.57 is an improvement, for me. Anyway, if you like 2.49, that’s fine.

I have an intel I think dual core processor I tried to look at the console window for clues as you suggest but i can’t see it. that’s weird I tried another blend it starts out at 60FPS then drops fast it ends up at 1.7 FPS in a few seconds and stays around that FPS. I have been fooling with it but nothing helps. i know this new version must be very fast but those numbers i gave show you how slow it really is for my computer.

digiman

Try to change the window redraw method, its likely that its set to triple buffer which your GPU is having trouble eating.

Also, what graphics card do you have? You may be lacking enough vram.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS I have the latest driver,. Not sure how to go about changing redraw method. The 3d view is very smooth. The few things i tried seem to work smoothly except the GE.

digiman

My guess is that they mean to change the window drawing method in the User Preferences window, in the System panel, or possibly another panel (right?)

Look in User Preferences > System > Window Draw Method

Options are:
Automatic
Triple Buffer
Ovelap
Overlap Flip
Full

Thanks for correction.

I somehow assumed, all 2.5* are betas for the 2.6.

My window draw method was set to automatic. I don’t think anything i try will work on my system. thanks for your suggestions.

digiman

I’m still trying to download that thing …

My only reason to remain on 2.49, at least in game development I say, it’s because in 2.5x in the Texture face panel, the “copy” buttons are missing, and this is important only if you work using multitexture mode.

@Cloud_GL - The copy buttons aren’t missing - you enable it via an Add-on. Select the ‘Copy Attributes’ add-on via the Add-ons menu.

As to Digiman’s problem, be aware that the radar sensor has been broken when they updated Bullet - that causes a large slowdown, even on simple scenes. You can easily use a simple collision object set to Sensor to test for collisions instead.

This is true. My blend file does seem to run better in 2.57 but as soon as I spawn an enemy that uses radars, the frame rate drops to next to nothing, running on my quad core. So if your using radars, delete them and see if your frame rate improves.

Yeah that was what I was thinking…where did he get that idea?

Anyway, digimans problem. I had the same issue, update drivers. I was getting like 10 FPS on my GTS250. (That isn’t meant to happen) and as soon as I updated drivers I got 60 EASY. Not sure about different cards ect. of course, but as a general rule, the newer the drivers the better the drivers.

I get that impression from Blender dev. road-maps back in time:
http://cdn.blendernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/2009-planning1.png

By that out of date timeline BMesh was supposed to be in trunk by the first of this year.

my graphic driver is only about 5 months old. I can’t believe that is the problem. It might make matters worse so i don’t know if I will update

digiman

there is a new release for my graphic card each month, so 5 months old drivers are quite old for me. You ll only win by updating your driver why dont make it?

The problem with that is when my first graphics card broke , wasn’t sure what was wrong so i went to the local computer repair shop They installed a new card the would fit my computer configuration but told me they had a very hard time installing the driver. They weren’t sure why. I could have huge problems if i change the driver and maybe even recovering the old driver could be a problem, based on what those guys told me. I tried to get Zbrush but it would not work on my computer the support did not know why, so when i got a new card and driver i tried again and still no luck. If i get a new driver now i have a feeling 2.57 still won’t work.Now that my computer is working great why take a chance? If I do it will be after I buy a new computer (the one i have now is almost 6 years old )

digiman

Can you explain it a little more.

There’s an add-on that re-enables the copy transparency / mode attributes that ships with Blender. You can find it in the User Preferences menu and the add-ons section.