2.5x sequencer: how to zoom horizontally only?

Hello!
I’m working with Blender 2.57b and recently I’m interested to use the video sequence editor.

In versions 2.4x of Blender when you zoom with the mouse scroll the sequencer view scales only horizontally and that was very comfortable(at least for me).

In 2.5x it seems the only “type” of zooming(via the scroll) is doing it on both axes and to zoom horizontally I have to use CTRL-MMB.

Is there a way to set the zooming to be affecting only one axis in 2.5x? That’s not only for the sequencer but also for the graph editor.

bump bump bump

Well, this is a work around, but can’t you do it using Ctrl-MMB and move the mouse vertically or horizontally? It’s not perfect, but it gets the job done.

The secret is in the scroll bars.

There is a small dot at each end of the scroll bars. If you drag any of these dots with LMB you can scale the axes independently.

It took me months to find that out.

Pressing the period key on the numpad will maximize any selection.
So “A” followed by “.” is a good way to set up the viewport.

Wow, I had no clue about that. Thank you for sharing!

Yes, I already know that the scroll bars can be used, but I find it way more comfortable to use just the mouse scroll for a quick time scale.
It would be great if there was an option to restrict the 2d-zoom to just one of the axes. I don’t know why the devs changed that particular function in the post 2.4x versions :confused:
Plus that’s the way professional video editing software like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere have realized timeline zooming - just horizontal, so that you don’t lose your vertical position and size.

I don’t get your point.

A) Move your mouse pointer over one of the red marked dots of the horizontal scroll bar.

B) Press the left mouse-button and move the mouse pointer horizontal while holding the left mouse button. (For the initial setup its the LMB- the one you make selections with)

This will resize the horizontal axis only. The vertical axis will not be resized at all.

And this is working in other scrollable windows as well. So what exactly are you complaining about?

And IMHO this is a big advantage. On 2.4x you had to keep in mind that you have to divide angular values by 10 to find the value on any scale. That’s neither logical nor user friendly or Noob-compatible. However it was necessary to manage high angular values.

@Ulf B., my point is that I don’t find it comfortable to have to move the mouse to one end of the scroll bar, then drag it AND have this the ONLY way you can zoom by time only.

@everyone who’s reading:
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t it WAY more comfortable to just roll the mouse wheel and have the desired result, THAN having to:

• first move the mouse;
  • click at a specific point;
  • drag;
  • and then maybe adjust the position of your view(in time) again.

Also, how often would one need to zoom(with mouse wheel) both axes of the sequencer after you’ve set up the number of tracks to use and the view to the desired height?
Wouldn’t you want to scale the timeline quick and easy by rolling the mouse wheel and not have the vertical scale messed up in the process?

drdearth, i agree with you. Ctrl+MMB makes me a little seasick and using the scroll bar at the bottom makes it hard to zoom at the current frame (both sides of the bar need to be moved). I’m not aware of any other way to zoom horizontal.

A checkbox to restrict the vertical scaling with Ctrl+MMB would be nice

I made a feature request on the blender.org forum: http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20524