2.62 Audio Problems

Hi Ev1, I just installed 2.62 and my audio has gone to hell. The default setting on OpenAL has audio preview playback stuttering badly. If I change audio to SDL the sound quality is good, but it seems to “wander” making lip syncing impossible.

My system is AMD Athlon Dual 2.5 GHz 32 bit, 3 gigs RAM, Vista, with an ATI Radeon HD 5570 video card. Blender 2.61 worked fine so it might be a bug in 2.62.

Anyone else experiencing this / found a work around?

Same problem here. With default OpenAL all 3d sound are playing as mono. I can here only on left speaker. Volume is also low.
Fortunately, SDL device is working well. There may be bugs in audio device in Blender 2.62. Same files working well on previous versions.

@Choons: You can turn on Frame Dropping for the synch. This may help and it is easy to forget to turn on. Sometimes I forget and continue ahead aligning my animation to audio. Then when I realize and turn it on, my animation is off and I have to redo it.

@Reekdeb:I get the same thing on windows. My stereo audio is only playing in the left speaker.

Blender + (Audio or Video) = :no:

@Atom yeah I use frame dropping as well, but when scrubbing audio back and forth in SDL the audio is drifting several frames making it hard to discern where words really start and end. Being on an AMD system AND using ATI Radeon video card is a double whammy for Blender I think. I fell back to 2.61

I had a similar problem, AV sync was not effective, and it crashed on switching to anything other than OpenAL. I finally got it switch without crashing, and that helped.

I continued to finish my project (I have short timeframes :eek: ) and now found it can’t initialize AAC for H.264 anymore. My older projects that rendered (sequenced?) in 2.61 won’t start rendering either.

(Win Vista 64)

PS: I’m rendering the project in 2.61 for now.

I reported on bug tracker: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=30232&group_id=9&atid=498

It seems the issue has been solved on current SVN. Though, I have not tested yet.

Here are some temporary tricks for current Blender 2.62:

1. Use SDL device.
  2. Or, install OpenAL oalinst.zip from http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip and rename OpenAL32.dll to something else in blender installation directory.
  3. Or,Rename OpenAL32.dll to something else in blender installation directory and place OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll from Creative to blender installation directory.

@Reekdeb thanks that looks very useful. I’ll see if that works