2.8 - Bake to Vertex Colors

With 2.7 I can easily bake to vertex colors using Blender Internal, but for 2.8 and Cycles I found only some inconvenient workarounds.

Is there a plan to add this feature to 2.8?

3 Likes

I did not find a task relative to that on d.b.o.

Merge of GSOC on Vertex Painting gave us ability to obtain Vertex Color from Weights.
But as a consequence of BI lost, we are losing this ability to bake full render or any characteristic of material to Vertex Color layer.

It is annoying when you can’t use a texture.
Can you explicit to devs what is your purpose ? Why Cycles workarounds are inconvenient ?

I create models for an older game engine where I use vertex colors to add extra shading for whole scenery (using baked Ambient Occlusion). This is very simple with BI and it works extremely well, but how to do that in 2.8?
The workaround is about baking to a texture first, and then use an addon that finally bake from this texture to vertex colors… you must admit this is far from a convenient workflow.
I don’t have problem with sticking with 2.7, I just wanted to point out that maybe some people like me will miss such feature.

What is the name of this addon pls.? For baking from texture to vertex color…I will find that very useful soon :slight_smile: thank you

Actually I think you can just use Bake -> Full Render for baking textures to vertex colors.

1 Like

Still missing from the most recent build :frowning: (2.80.47)

Any news on this? Have the devs mentioned anything?

Kind regards,

Simon.

I don’t think it is planned ATM, I just stick with 2.79.

Hi, still nothing on this?

older game engine , the feature very important… but …may be i just use 2.79 for this work. Beacuse 2.8 forgot this feature.