2.8 builds for RTX cards?

Can anyone provide builds of 2.8 that can render on RTX cards? I know people always say to compile it yourself, but despite following the instructions I have never been able to successfully compile Blender. And I know I’m not the only one who struggles with it. So if anyone can compile an up to date build of 2.8 with CUDA 10 support I’d be very grateful.

You can find an older 2.79 build with RTX support on Graphicall. Just copy the necessary kernels into your 2.8 folder and they should* work.

*at least they did a few weeks ago. So much has changed though so ymmv.

I haven’t tried it yet, but in the comments I saw people saying that it doesn’t work in the latest builds. I will try as soon as I can though.

I get this error when I try it in 2.8:

error

The build on Graphicall is outdate won’t work. I just build with cuda 10 for use RTX cards. Just copy “kernel_sm_75.cubin” and “filter_sm_75.cubin” to the “2.80\scripts\addons\cycles\lib” folder. See attach files.filter_sm_75.cubin (167.0 KB)
kernel_sm_75.cubin (5.3 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks! It works perfectly.

As of this writing, my RTX 2080 works with the latest 2.8 beta build.

2018-12-05, blender 2.8 beta has cuda 7.5, please download it at blender.org

Are you implying that the latest version of Blender 2.8 works with RTX without copying any builds or doing any modifications?

Yes, that’s correct. 2.80 beta has support for 20x0 cards as of yesterday or so. No RTX acceleration or anything fancy, but they should work as you would expect.

The 7x architecture kernels are built using CUDA 10. All the older ones are still built with 9.x I believe.

Good to know…building a new pc (leaving Mac finally)… and was debating to find 1080/1080ti or go 20-series…cant wait to run blender on this

Building a new PC and hesitating about the VGA card…
Forget about ray-tracing cores, is it true that we can use Cycle and Eevee to render in 2.8 without nightly building now!?
And advices for the VGA card?

I’m not quite sure what you mean.

I mean if I use RTX cards, can I use Cycle and Eevee to render in 2.8 without any problem now?

The RTX features aren’t used yet, but the cards themselves work just fine with 2.8

1 Like

All 2.80 and 2.79 experimental builds for the last five months or so have included a version of Cycles that supports the 20x0 Nvidia cards for GPU accelerated rendering.

Eevee and Workspace displays don’t generally care about the card you have because they just go through OpenGL unlike Cycles that actually builds code to run on the card itself. So AFAIK, Eevee always worked fine on these cards, and they should work even on 2.79b and earlier for viewport stuff.

There are no official release builds with the new Cycles version, so all the 2.80 and the 2.79 experimental builds that support these cards are still “nightly builds” that change frequently.

The only thing you have to watch out for is the OS you want to install on the system. You won’t have a problem with Windows and Ubuntu. For other GNU/Linux based distros you might get in trouble if they use a graphical installer because not all of them have updated their drivers/Kernel and therefore won’t start.

OK I got it, thank for all your wonderful replies.