2.8 eevee renderer problems and workarounds

Searching a good set-up for Irradiance Volume Light Probe is a little bit similar than searching a good set-up for lamp shadows.

There is global scene setting for Irradiance Visibility Size under Indirect Lighting panel like Size of Shadow maps.
There are few data points (low resolution) in Irradiance Volume Light Probe, you can use a huge size.
There are lots of data points (high resolution), you will speed up things by using a small size.

Under Visibility label, in probe settings, you have same kind of settings than for lamps shadows (bias, bleed and blur) .
So, basically, you have to search the better ways to erode and blur shadows produced by data points to mix them smoothly.

It is just the same than trying to combine several lamp shadows.
There is no magical recipe.Good solution is relative to geometry and lighting of your scene.
You may prefer to use several light probes than one big. You can have a big one including smaller ones with different intensities.
It depends where shadows should look good, where they can be neglected and/or how far is camera.

How can I get the textures in materials to show in the viewport in their original form, say textures for reflection, roughness, bump? Is there a texture mode?

No Shading: Texture Paint Mode > Properties (N) Panel > Display > Full Shading = False
Choose Texture: Texture Paint Mode > Toolshelf (T Panel) > Slots > Paint Mode = Material - choose a material and a texture

Thanks, any way to display texture tiling too?

What do you mean? Any example in other software?

Just remembered you can’t display texture tiling in texture paint mode. If you use the mapping node and increase scale in x and y to tile textures. What I decided to do was plug in the individual textures to the diffuse directly and tweak tiling.

So, you simply asked whether you can tile textures, of course you can do that in any material node editor, I thought you meant something else. There’s the mapping node, or you can just multiply the coords with the same value.

I meant tiling the individual textures as they are being displayed in the viewport while tweaking the mapping node.

I just downloaded the newest 2.8 branch and the GI calculation is way better but it keeps crashing horrendously. If I try to save as, save copy, extrude scale, e.t.c. I can’t even import meshes or export. or open files. It crashes immediately. Any workaround for these. I understand it still a wip but why release a branch this unstable? It’s barely usable if these basic things don’t work?

ITT:
“I understand that the cake in the oven isn’t done yet, but why make it visible through the glass? Obviously, people are going to open it up and try it and be disappointed!”

It’s not a release, these builds are done automatically from whatever the current state of the code is, which may well be “broken”.

It’s barely usable if these basic things don’t work?

It’s not meant to be used for actual work, but you can play around with it. You can try out the new viewport, get a glimpse of new features. Try some of the test scenes. If you run into problems, you can just try again later.

So you missed the one warning in the when you click to the experimental build page and then the further two warnings on the actual page itself that that state you shouldn’t be using these build for production work or save important files with them…

The are not joking around when they call these builds experimental builds.

Thanks for the heads up. The branch I downloaded refuses to even open at all presently. I had a previous version I downloaded in febuary that I unfortunately deleted which was way stable. I was working on a small project to test eevee out the way those examples came up.
If they could make older releases available so that ppl can download and use if the newer ones don’t work.

If you want this kind of access, you are better off compiling Blender on your own. Then you can really pick the one you want.

@melvi bummer, with code quest on I would suggest keeping a backup of any version of 2.80 that you download and works for you. The devs are going to be changing things a lot quicker than usual so expect things to break more frequently.

I still personally think it’s a little coo coo bananas to be doing any kind of work where you might get burnt if things went belly up with a 2.8 build.

Hi, some user post workarounds for 2.8 crashing and other problems:

Delete startup + userpref.blend
Use STRG+ S for saving (Menu “save” and “save as” > crash for me every time)
Append objects from older 2.8 builds in new empty startup.blend with STRG + N

Save often, be cool. :cool:

Cheers, mib

Workaround: When trying to append objects from other projects results in crashing 2.8. Select another collection or create a new one, select and append.

Hello! I have problems with mirrors in blender 2.8. When I create glossy material with zero roughness it seems like a window. Rays passes through any object behind object.