2.8 is DRIVING ME UP THE WALL!

Lol, I don’t get these posts about UI and “if Blender wants to be more popular”. Have you people seen Maya’s UI ?! o.O

Just in case I did not express myself well because of my English, I clarify that before I had said that your i3 has a good single thread performance. But if you want to change for an i5, if your PSU is good quality with real 550W, it can handle an i5 and your GTX 1050 Ti.

Have you seen the YouTube link that I have shared above? In video description you can download Eevee scene. Your i3 has similar single thread performance that my i7-3770. And your GTX 1050Ti is similar to my GTX 960. Do you have problems with slowness with that scene?. Using nvidia, for me the scene loads completely in no more than 30 seconds, and then viewport works really fast.

Edit:
Mmm, thinking about monitor/screen resolution and OpenGL. I use Full HD monitor. I guess that in 4K monitor everything with Eevee should be slower than 1080 resolution??? Just thinking about if when we talk about slowness in Viewport with Eevee we should consider monitor resolution.

So the discussion progressed to 4K monitors and we are still talking about possible problems with lower end or weaker GPUs?.. If you get a 4k monitor, why don’t you get a good GPU with it as well? - problem solved the way I see it.

I think it’s all going to be fine.

I was talking about support of OpenGL 3.3 because the way I understand it, Blender will not run on hardware not supporting it, is that correct? So I imagine problems where you just need to use whatever device you happen to find lying around and it doesn’t work at all. But that is not going to be the case if most devices support it. And heavy scenes… well they will continue to require more expensive hardware so that’s nothing new and one still needs a workstation computer for that. Nothing changes, nothing too much to worry about the way I see it.

@MartinZ, By comparing similar hardware for Eevee performance when talking with “colkai”, it just came to my mind the curiosity about how much monitor resolution influences in performance, no matter what graphics card you have. Just that.

@YAFU: hi, indeed, this is a parameter to take into account. The smaller the resolution is, the better the performances are. I don’t really know how benchmark performances are done in the viewport. But in eevee in bge for example, the viewport offscreen is created according to camera canvas size and we can easily see the performances impact: http://pasteall.org/pic/58ff5039f7dc535469ebbc24fd105373 (large)
http://pasteall.org/pic/2457b6b108b1e2c677764e66b28063bf (small).

Just got back from testing the latest build of 2.80.

So here are my findings. It often works if you are using Blender 2.80 on Windows using Nvidia proprietary drivers. The problem however is for us who use GNU + Linux (especially the Open Source GPL drivers of ATI Radeon and Nvideo GeForce). On older Nvidia card, running GNU it was painfully slow, and there are graphical errors. On old ATI Radeon, it didn’t run.

These problems are almost non-existent with Blender 2.6x / 2.7x (OpenGL 1.4 / 2.1). This is why I meant by saying older OpenGL just works. Of course, we should buy newer hardware as it is not so big a cost.

So far, I am not seeing any speed or performance advantage over 2.6x / 2.7x. In fact, loading times and how the GPU causes your entire system to hang adversely affects workflow. Perhaps in future, we may see 2.80 exceeding 2.7x.

I’m happy to report this findings. Window users of modern GPU probably won’t encounter these problems.

Trying it now, very slow, but interestingly, checking the CPU activity, Blender is barely pulling anything from the CPU at times, fluctuates between about 80% and less than 10% as it processes. Even setting the Blender process priority to high has little efffect, so definitely not making most use of resources.

The scene seems incomplete as well, it loads find and renders, but very poorly. I’ve left it in hte background, but it looks nothing like it should so far. Unless I am missing something.

This is what I get. I can go into “walk mode” with F and it works smoothly, but not anything like what I was expecting.

Attachments

Apparently you have downloaded Cycles scene from Blendswap. The second link was the modified scene for Eevee, It is necessary to press Show More in description of the video. Anyway I have updated video description for no confusion. Here the link:

No Dropbox login is required, just close the floating window that appears requesting login, and then download file.

@aWeirdOwl , ok. Thanks.

Doh, missed that, yep, was using the cycles scene. Cheers Yafu. :slight_smile:

Edit: Took under 30 seconds to load an process, then could move around really quite freely. Some of the lag is due to me using OBS as it was smoother when not recording.

So apparently it works similar to my system. Good to know.