2.8 Is it a good idea that so much functions not have a key assigned by default?

Specially for newbies it would be a mess if every tutorial use other keystrokes (and mousebuttons), cause alot tutorial creators start to use different keys.
I think by default they should give all minor functions back the default keys.

1 Like

You can always just use 2.79 version keymap in Preferences.

Yes, i know.
But the choice between old 2.79 and new 2.80 keymaps splits the community. And all old or new tutorials did fit much lesser than before. It makes stepping in blender harder again in my opionon.

1 Like

Tutorials should cover the tool, not the short cut. Most tools are there in the header or menus, and someone starting out needs to focus on what is really going on as a whole and not the letters that make up a short cut - otherwise they aren’t learning much at all.

3 Likes

Sure, i agree tutorials should cover a tool.
But it makes reading/watching/creating tutorials more diffucult. For example videotutorials that use keystrokes overlay, they now harder to follow.
Answering questions/communicaiton here for example are harder too, instead of an answer like “you do this with the function via that key” you must describe the way to the menu/function.

2 Likes

The idea is to free up more of the keyboard for users to be able to more readily create their own custom keymaps catered to their own work and pipelines.

5 Likes

I get that - but on my own, there is less about ‘select with this key’ and more like ‘select the vertex and then…’ , I prefer to show what you can do, not every single step. I watched plenty of tuts that show key strokes, and they confuse me because a lot of them are errant keystrokes and nothing to do with the action eventually taken.

If you want blender to be easy to learn and therefore be consistent across tutorials, and if a choice in settings splits the community and that’s a bad thing, then is it safe to assume you want a software that has no possibilities for customization, forcing all users to use the keymap and theme that the developers have chosen for you?

Most stuff is in the right-click context menus, which is probably easier for a new user to remember. Although, I have noticed a lot of tutorial authors still use the old hotkeys for many things.

2 Likes

No, i didnt want a software that is not customizable. But i think it would be better to deliver a more complete keymap. Mostly pro users customize for their workflow, newbies and hobbiest should get an easy and mainstream interface. In my opionan a good keymap is essential for that.

2 Likes

I would argue Blender is actually easier to learn with fewer hotkeys. I think they have done a wonderful job with 2.8-- and while it may take a little time for regular users to find & rebind everything they want, overall it’s a better starting point.

1 Like

Ah, so I guess you’re saying hotkeys are easier for beginners to learn than menus. I for one am not so sure about that… I’ve never actually seen anyone who needed help with navigating the dropdown menus in blender, however I have seen a handful of people who needed help because they didn’t know a shortcut for a certain function and didn’t even consider or know how to look through the menus to find that function. So that doesn’t really suggest that beginners need more default hotkeys I’m afraid. And as you said yourself, it’s mostly irrelevant to advanced users.

1 Like

Maybe its me, tutorials with keystrokes, specially videotutorials are a good way to learn for me, you can watch and follow by keystrokes, sometimes pausing when it is to fast.
But it can be only me and other user dont see it so.

Dont underestimate a mainstream keymap for new users, for example a user want an easy understanding interface in their language, keystrokes are language independent. If an user has a german, italian, spanish, … language the descriptions are not always clear to understand if they are translated. It can see no negative effect if the 2.8 keymap is more complete.

1 Like

Blender Guru posted a video on “Where everything is in Blender 2.8”. He also made a keyboard shortcut cheatsheet you can get if you sign up for his newsletter.

1 Like

but i have not a big problem with the keymaps, i assigned my so far.
I just opened this thread why i think it is a good idea to prevent that tutorials get more complicated to learn from or to create caused by no mainstream keymap.

1 Like

I have no problems with the more minimal keymap, especially when you have things like real context menus.

In the pre 2.8 days, people complained that they couldn’t make any change to the keymap without causing a conflict (because it was so packed by default).

1 Like

I cant understand why a minimal keymap should be a good think. I guess iam just a newbie (i know iam :)) between pros, and the pros dont understand the little problems newbs can have anymore.

• Has a complete keymap any disadvantage?
    I would tell no, if you need you can change it, you can customize.
    Correct me if you see an disantvantage.

• Has a complete keymap advantages?
    I would tell yes, it makes learning blender easier. Keystrokes can be an language like english, german, …, python or math. If more people speak the same keystrokes it helps by helping other, making and learning from tutorials.

Let assume iam new to blender, download and install it, and first i have to choose between the old or new layout. I guess any new would take the latest version so i choose the 2.8 layout. I play around try to learn and come to the tutorials. I start learning with an tutorial and for example i need a function like fly mode, or convert curve to mesh or whatever. As newbie i have to start assign keys!? Should i take the shortcut from tutorial 1 or 2, “oh, wait shortcut from tutorial 2 is already assigned by another function hm”.

I guess i so dislike it because i dont like to use menu and buttons. I am born with VI.

Maybe its good for pros more, they can assign their workflow/keys to an emtpy keymaps,
but for newbs it is not so good.

Minimal keymaps have the advantage to be easier to maintain and to keep them consistent throughout the tools.
If new features are added, which can be expected to be used by a broad range of users on a regular basis, there is no way to add them to a compact keymap. Even worse, if it is a feature which can be used in different modes (edit, sculpt, …), it is impossible to use the same key throughout, because it is for sure already reserved.
It is a huge step forward to make the keymap more consistent and to focus it on the essentials. This allows everyone to add the functionality they use frequently in the way they like it without the need to remove other keystrokes or use very obscure ones.

Also: Keystrokes are not a way of communicating, not even closely! For communication, you always use the actual name of the thing you are using. That’s also true for programming and mathematics. There is no need to invent an unnecessary jargon as it only makes the communications with others who are not used to Blender more complicated.

Minimal keymaps have the advantage to be easier to maintain and to keep them consistent throughout the tools.

Yes, they are easier to maintain, and you can more easy make them consistent trough the tools. But a minimal usage of keymaps is not an advantage. If there are free keys they will be used somehow by somebody. Now there is a now feature that uses my already assigned key. Yes, Blender has a lot of functions for the different modes that need a key. But minimize the keymap from start dont slove that problem, it just pushes the problem at another place and time.

But it looks iam the only one that is disturbed by that, so ok, i guess its ok like it is.

I am sure you are not the only one. There seem to be plenty of people who stay with the 2.79 keymap.

You are right that the problem is being pushed with the minimal keymap in the case you are describing. However, people who customize their keymaps are aware of it and they usually know exactly what kind of change they made and why. If something is added to the minimal keymap, it is highly likely that they need to adjust their keymap, that is definitely the case.
But everyone has different needs and preferences. You can’t cover them with a full keymap, no matter how much you try. If you provide everyone with a minimal keymap, it gives them a very solid starting point and a common, minimal basis. There is no need to first think about the functionality which is not needed in the keymap to get some space for the functionality you actually want to access through keys. There are more keys available for your functionality to pick from, depending on your preferences, without the need to invent a whole usability concept for your keymap. A minimal keymap is way more pragmatic.