2.81 Bug Ridden

I have made 3 bug reports in the first half hour I downloaded, installed and started using 2.81 and I’m really very disillusioned :triumph::rage:

Not only did my user preferences from 2.8 caused truck load of glitches, bugs are creeping from the most unexpected places, like for example, if you duplicate and separate a shell from an object, you can’t shrink wrap it to the original object or any other one, the modifier is broken! This is something I do on and on, on a daily basis and I thought this was supposed to be an upgrade by God…

Now they won’t release anything in-between this and 2.82 and we’ll have to wait for months till these are hopefully fixed.

Ang they hyped everyone about this release. How can a point release be so bug ridden on such crucial parts?

Just tried, it’s working fine here. Shrink wrapped to the original object and to a different object. Zero issues.
Maybe something went wrong in your pref folder?

Working fine here too either… Windows 10, Blender 2.81, nvidia rtx 2060.

Grease Pencil seems all messed up. At least for me. Anyone else?

I deleted my prefs folder to get that out of the way before trying this one out and the result is this over and over… What on earth is going on with this thing?

And what kind of a point release would be so destructive as to force the user to start over doing his/her user preferences anyhow? I spent at least 2 doing all my preferences from scratch when I upgraded from 2.79 to 2.8. I understood the situation then and did it gladly, but having to start over upgrading from 2.8 to 2.81? Are these guys nuts?

Probably depends on what system you are running?? Linux?? MacOS??

No. These guys aren’t nuts. Humans are imperfect. Bugs happen. But the problem is that in this explicit case, it seems only happens to you, unless somebody hit the same bug and can report it, so the nuts in charge can fix them.

Sigh.

Hi. I’m on Windows 10 pro. You are right, bug squishing is a hard task. But my problem is with the fact that I doubt that such crucial bugs can be addressed until the next point release, which can only be months from now. And they really do need to pay more attention to upward compatibility when it comes to user prefs migration. Like I pointed out previously, this is not a prefs migration from a rather new API or whatnot like form 2.79 to 2.8. It’s from 2.8 to 2.81 by Jove…

But unless someone else will report the same issue, than there must be something going on for your setup specifically. It’s hard to figure out what it is and I understand the frustration. That said, from the first testing I have done with 2.81 I haven’t noticed any particular issue so far.

Also, have you been testing the 2.81 beta release by chance? It wasn’t very different from the final release, at least the latest betas. I have been using the beta for a while now before installing the final and even in that case I didn’t have any sort of problems. So, what I’m trying to say all in all 2.81 seems pretty stable to me.

3 Likes

I’d try going File -> Defaults -> Reset to Factory settings and see if things clear up.

I’ll do away with everything now, delete all folders everywhere and start over and try and see what happens…

Resetting to factory defaults clears all configuration. Easier than finding all the files (especially on Windows). It sounds like it’s picking up an old startup.blend file somewhere, but I’m not sure.

I deleted everything and installed Blender 2.81 from scratch and that shrink wrap bug still persists. The surface constraint “On Surface” option doesn’t work if I duplicate a shell and separate it to a new object and apply the shrink wrap mod to it.

Works fine for me as well. Windows 10. Using the official 2.81 build from Blender.org.

That’s just crazy :frowning: It persists on my side. Wtf??

post your system specs, os version and check for updates on your graphics drive, its almost impossible to help without that.

There’s a special place for this type of discussion: https://developer.blender.org/

You guys are just replicating the exact discussion that should be in the bug tracker instead.

Can you post a screenshot with your shrinkwrap modifier settings?

Actually they are not. They are trying to figure out whether its an actual bug or something that is specific to Jacobo’s system or setup.

That is a valuable step to take before filing a bug report. A lot of time is spend already discarding invalid bug reports, lets make certain we do not add to that unnecesarily.

If it is a bug that more people can reproduce then by all means, report it with all the steps to reproduce.

9 Likes

I can do one better. Here’s a video I posted on the thread I created on the tracker list.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1myZSq-5PGFjfiI7uWB1ZQfoi41BFsL5j