2 Materials on a plane?

How can I have two materials on a plane? I want a plane with one side red the other side blue.

Here’s what I’ve managed so far:
SPACE -> Add -> Mesh -> Plane
Shading (F5) -> Add New. Set RGB to 0.8, 0.0, 0.0.
Render (F12), plane is red. Half way there.

Then I follow http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/x4272.html ‘Multiple Materials’, but the whole plane is now blue, not just one side.

I’ve been able to create a cube with 6 sides all different colour, but I can’t work out how to do for a plane.

Thanks in advance!

well i can garuntee you right now that it will never happen! A plane doesn’t have enough vertices to do that unless you plan on using uv faces where you could use a picture with all of the colors on it! The solution is to make another face by extruding two of the verts. Then follow the tut again and i think you are missing the tut cause you have to add two different mat references in edit buttons then in material buttons you will see two references on a little bar for reference one you will alreay have a material (default is material) then for the other you will have material as well so go to that name and add a new (default will be material.001) there you can change between references and chagne the colors for the associated materials! As far as applying th colors i am sure you know already how to do that. Another alt is to create 2 triangle faces though i doubt you want it to look like that!

Well, i kinda skimmed what prine wrote and had a hard time understanding what he was saying so I am probably not going to say anything he hasnt already said, but I’ll say it again anyways.

When assigning more that one material to an object, it is done according to vertex groups, and by faces. You create your materials, go into edit mode and select the vertices of the faces that you want to assign the material to, and click ‘assign’ button in the edit buttons under the material chooser. What your problem is, is that your trying to assign two different materials to the same face. Thats not possible as you may have gathered at this point.

To accomplish what you want, you are going to need more verts. Try this:

1. Make your plane and enter edit mode.
  2. Press WKEY for specials menu and select 'Subdivide
  3. Make your materials.
  4. Select the verts on the side that you want to have blue.
  5. Under the edit buttons, click the assign button.
  6. Do the same for the other side.

hope that helps.

to sum up what DAnte said:
while a plane, in the general sense, can have as many materials as you want, a single face (or polygon) can only have ONE material. So if you want 2 materials on a plane, you need to have 2 (or more) faces. The PLANE object in blender is actually just one single face, so if you want to materials, you will have to cut it in half. Many ways to do this… Dante explained well.