20 min. challenge fail

Many of you know for Arrimus 3D YouTube channel. So he start some kind of 20. min modelling challenge. So after watchin this video
Every Minute is Terrifying! - Death Stranding 20 Min Challenge #2 - YouTube
I decide to make this model, but not following concept exactly. For modelling I use MOI 3D. And I fail… try again… and fail again… miserably :expressionless:
In my Defense I must say that not only that MOI are destructive software, but also sometime is very finicky with fillets and chamfers. I lose too much time in ‘negotiations’. After I finish second model I unvrap main body, make texture in Substance, slap simple materials in rest and render with Blender Octane. Stones are quick sculpt in Blender, rock textures are from Megascan. I don’t crop second render, leave it as it is. My goals was to achieve some dark morning look.

first failed attempt

14 Likes

hahaha well done !
Everything is going so fast nowadays … Last time I did speed modeling one hour was still a thing :smiley:
It’s really good in the end and I don’t consider that a failure :smiley:

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
congrats.

1 Like

Thanks. Can we agree that this is half fail then :wink:
Seriously, these days speed is somehow hype words, like this is all which matter. Of course speed is important, but also quality of final product. Not to mention, if you only care about speed this will affect your design choices heavily.
However I guess that Arrimus, like all masters not only have finished model in his head, they also plan ahead couple moves. Perfect example is one old Zac Petroc Zbrush tutorial. He import blocky base model in Zbrush and in just above 2 hours make almost perfect female body. Zbrush in this time has only basic tools, Blender sculpt these days is far superior, for example also these days hardware are unable to handle heavy meshes. But he in this 2 hours don’t make any mistake, every brush stroke has purpose, also he plan ahead and prepare surface for next strokes. Never see something like this.

2 Likes

Haha, 20% fail and we have a deal !

Yes, it’s a very interesting subject, and who’s interested in being slow anyway …
For me, this is a great commercial argument along with efficiency and ease of use for plugins/addons. And of course, all of this is great. CG doesn’t have to be slow and convoluted.
I think also, the ones who benefit the most from being fast are concept artist. They need to iterate on a design, and show something that looks like the final product, or the final frame of a movie. And also produce variations of these. The catch is that none of these CG elements are being used further down the pipeline.
Needless to say that in production they spend a lot of time on planning and researching, and the CG part is only a fraction of the work.

As I work more as a generalist, for me the most important is to provide something that works.
Of course we have deadlines, budgets tends to shrink, so being fast and efficient is important.
In general I focus a lot on planning, and making sure that I’m taking the right direction in every step I make. In the end I generally use regular tools that are not the fastest, but I try to be smart in what I do. And taking my time planning generally makes things slow at first, but I finally get on point on time. Rather than rushing into a dead-end, or missing something important along the way.

But of course, there are very talented people who manage to pull something really great without any flaws in a really short amount of time. That comes with a lot of practice, but I don’t think that’s the most important thing to focus on when you’re not at that level.

2 Likes

I agree, I find that taking 30 minutes to make a detailed, thoughtful plan can save me hours of work later. I’ve also found that physically writing my plan and notes down on paper makes it stick better in my brain, but I’m often lazy and just do it digitally anyway :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes ! I do the same, and sometime I go without any plan at all but that’s when time isn’t an issue.
And great chances are that I some point I realize that I missed something or that I need to redo some stuff.

But as a general rule of thumb. The fastest I want to get to the result, the more important is the planning. Even for a 2 hours rush. Taking 30mn to think and write down things as always saved me from a lot of troubles.

1 Like

You are good artist, so I have no fear for you :wink:
I mean about young artists, especially Blender artists. Just search on YouTube something like : making under 10 minutes in Blender … or 5 min. There is lot of videos, and results often are… something which you get in 5-10 min. But authors behave like this is : job done!
I hope you understand my point. One thing is when someone with at least moderate knowledge push himself further, different if young ‘apprentice’ get wrong advices from beginning.

1 Like

When make concepts or just play with ideas I often have only rough idea in head, rarely very, very, simple, rough sketch on paper. Then I start to play in 3D until get …something. Then I make pause and draw on paper couple ideas, what to do next. Again rough sketches. Usually when back to 3D don’t follow my sketches. But somehow switching media give me a new perspective, new ideas.
This are of course individual, after all my background are 2D… and I somehow accidentally go astray in 3D :smiley:

2 Likes

Indeed , lots of free learning content are as good as they can be misleading.
And even if from them you can learn good tricks that feel “professional” it doesn’t go much beyond an nice recipe that you need to push further and customize in your own work…
At some point a “young apprentice” is left alone and needs to find answers by himself.

Something that I find also quite misleading is with payed education. But maybe now the situation is better.
In my country the regular fee for a CG/Art school is around 30 000€ (~10 000 per year, and the minimum wage is around 1500€/mouth), some people are forced to loan money to get proper education that they need to pay back in their first years of work.

Some schools give a great education, sometime it’s really a scam.
But none of these school will tend to warn the pupils that at the end of the day they’ll have to learn a lot by themselves. Of course it’s more effective to tell people a commercial statement like “pay XXXX€ and you’ll get a professional level and a job for sure”, rather than a more honest one : “we can give you the basics and it’s up to you to make the most of it if you want to stand out, and probably you’ll have to learn things on your own, during and after school…”.
Given that I see a lot of people going out from school thinking that there is no more left to learn.
And the school is responsible for a part of that…

But of course some people are curious and self-learners from the beginning, they manage to make the most of their education and keep on doing so when the school is over. And most schools do their best to give good education.

People making a living on youtube tutorials got a similar dilemma to solve.
And in the end they tends to be entertainers for beginners rather than giving a professional feedback on how a CG artist is supposed to work. How something integrate into a pipeline, or how to build your work to account for a client feedback, deadline , artistic constraints etc… probably because it will be interesting for a much smaller audience.
Sadly it’s quite rare that people do educational content only for the sake of education…
I think he does :
https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
It’s quite inspirational and I’ve learn a lot of theory from his videos, even if I don’t draw a lot.
But yeah, it’s like more than 100 hours of content and at the end of the day the message is “all that doesn’t really count if you don’t practice by yourself”…

But hey, you’ve given me a great opportunity to rant here, I don’t want to sound too pessimistic because I think we can learn a lot from any resources available. And people making video do a great and useful job even if it’s obviously incomplete. It’s also the task of the beginner to go and look a bit further what is given to them if they want to do something better !

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks @bartv :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yap, education is expensive in all countries. Also no one school / university will prepare you for real world situation, no matter are this engineering or 2-3D art. And this is … normal. One who will solve this problem are good candidate for Nobel price :smiley:
There is big competition in 2-3D art. Too many ‘artists’ but number of jobs are limited. So like many people say it’s more lucrative to make tutorials ( free or commercial ), “materials/texture pack’s”, than to fight for job. And some people use all means to bust his viewership or customers. Look on all this fancy intro’s, people which ‘acting’ and in reality give … poor content. And bad advices, like: don’t listen anyone, be yourself, you know better… Pheh, I’m willing to PAY someone to give me a honest, constructive feedback… seriously. This don’t mean that I will listen advice literally, but having second pair of eyes is advantage.
In my Blender journey, free tutorials on YouTube help me tremendously. Without them I will be lost. There are many good people, I don’t mention his names here, because I will probably miss someone.
But must highlight one tutorial
Creating a 3D character for commercial game series - YouTube
One of best tutorial I ever see. Free or commercial. It’s not matter that author use Blender, this can be followed using other software. Author not only show what he doing, he also say why, when, how much, etc. And this is much more important than simply doing stuff.

1 Like

Yes I agree !

This kind of content is quite rare, I’ve seen the first two when they where released, I should check out the next ones !
Indeed I lean a lot from youtube content too !

1 Like

There is sad comment from author. Viewership after first couple videos fall drastically. In this firs couple videos he do “interesting” stuff, head, body. After that he work on some ‘boring’ stuff. Ok. I sometime rewind some parts, but watch most of tutorials, after all this is more productive than funny animal videos :wink:
However there are many ‘young’ artist which don’t want to waste his precious time on such trifle’s like accessory, items, cloth details. This remind me on one my “internet friend”. He was decent artist, as freelancer make many characters for various games. But when he got a job in one big studio his first tasks was to make SF Crates :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
He, he, seriously, he first work on various assets, then gradually advance, first some small items for character, then cloth, and finally after xxxx time he got a chance to work on some NPC character.
3D is same as any other job, 99% of time boring, tedious, and sometime something really inspiring.

3 Likes

:smiley:
Yes , I think as educational content this tutorial is awesome, it’s like being behind someone working professionally and learn all that it takes to get to a great result.
But yeah, if the purpose is to get a lot of views that’s probably not the best way to go.
Because there are really less people who want to invest time to watch hours of videos to get some knowledge. And to make most of this stuff you need to be already advanced.

On the other hand, everyone can loose 5 minutes to watch a “let’s model batman in 5 minutes” video. Being talented artists, amateur, beginner …

But these kind of indepth breakdown / tutorial are as much needed as the others, it’s just that when doing so you get less reward. I think that’s fine if your purpose is to share knowledge and help artists to grow , just like anyone has probably been helped at some point of his journey.
Seeing people providing such good content but complaining that they don’t get enough attention makes me wonder if they do that only for the sake of sharing…

And yes, totally agree someone has to do the boring stuff also :smiley: That’s part of the process of learning and improving. You may not learn a lot about modeling, but that can help to grasp how a pipeline is working, the review process etc… In fact it’s better to start with basic stuff rather than adding the pressure of working on a hero asset/character right from the start… That easy to understand especially if it’s your first time in a big company.

4 Likes

How did you achieve this cinematic look

You probably mean bluish look with lot of color contrast.
My goal was mood / color palette from Dead Stranding trailer ( beach scene ). So I chose HDR with neutral color. Then I chose Octane as renderer. He don’t only have “free” displacement, he also have crisp, cold look naturally. In world setting I put volume scatter with bluish tint, then chose one of presets which look appropriate. Save this as 16bit TIFF and in Photoshop make final adjustments. I guess that same is possible in Affinity Photo or Gimp.
Real Pro will save couple passes as multilayer 32 EXR, using ACES and do post in Fusion… but I’m just lazy wannabe :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also fully agree with this philosophy of making tutorials, better those that really explain how to do things in the professional workflow, even if it can be boring in some aspects, rather than tutorials to “catch” visualizations.

Based on this, I would like to ask if you know any serious and professional tutorials with the same philosophy of thought, but applied to hard surface, lighting, shading, rendering, ecc…

He, he this dude is unique :wink:
Hard surface is different beast. All depend of your workflow. If you are interested in ‘old school’ there is MILG11 this is old, author use C4D… but this not matter, polygon are polygon in all software. So no matter of software you will learn necessary basic. btw Polyquilt addon will make your life better in Blender. Here is preview

btw. this is fantastic channel, author is good friend with Toby and currently switch to Blender. He is slow, methodic, and make fantastic models. Good resource for serious people.
YouTube is fantastic resource of free high quality content. And don’t hesitate to watch tutorials for different software. Under hub they are same. For example
Peter Stammbach - YouTube
author use Modo, and explain many tricky stuff, which can be applied to any other software.
For bolean Blender workflow I can recommend Ben Bolton YT channel.
Shading rendering… there are couple books which explain how light works. Also I recommend to you to buy at least cheapest digital camera and make photos. Practice is best way to learn. Also watch some of YT channels which deal with photography, and post processing. You will easily transfer this knowledge / experience to 3D latter.

2 Likes