2010 camaro

i am working on modeling my first car, wondering if anyone could help with suggestions with basics of modelling and everything. i will post pics

Attachments

Camaro.blend1.blend (194 KB)

ok, so no pics. no computer capability. but i will post the .blend frequently

Following on from the PM I sent you back, here’s a couple of images to show you what I mean by a grid pattern.

Your roof (after I merged triangles via alt-j)

This one is from my Gallardo project:

I can’t really use my S7 to demonstrate because of it’s roof scoop and stuff… but you see what I mean by grid. Obviously you can’t use this pattern all the time, but whenever you have something like it, having one set of vertices following the curvature of the car and another perpendicular to that set, the result is usually quite good. Hope this helps.

thanks for those pics. i will do my best to make the model as simple (less vertices) as possible.

how do you recomend that i mirror it? i resarted and have half of the hood done, and need some suggestions with the mirroring part.
figured out how to post images. will have them as frequently as possible.:smiley:

Attachments

Make sure the object centre is set on a vertex that’s on the mirror line. Then, add a mirror modifier. If it doesn’t work straight away, play with the settings until it does.

progress report

Attachments

Looks good but its kinda hard to see. I’ll give you a few tips.

• Work on a mid-light grey background rather than the blue.
  • Set all you objects to use te same ‘clay’ material. This is usually a grey or clay coloured material with no reflection and no specularity.
  • Use ambient occlusion. Although approximate is faster, I like the noisy appearance of raytraced AO (although I have previously added in the noise with nodes). It’ll help balance out your lighting.
  • Add a floor. It just looks better than floating in midair… even if it’s floating above the floor.
  • Lighting is VERY important. Using just one omni-lamp rarely gives professional results. I usually use either a 2-point or three-point setup. You can read about several styles here.

I’ve created a .blend with decent lighting, but I don’t have time to upload it, I will later today.

Here’s the lighting test, it’s not the greatest, but it works. I don’t usually use the internal renderer so I’m not brilliant at setting it up.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jewzuzh0mwr

Could you post a wirefreme? Great tutorial at http://blendernewbies.blogspot.com/2006/10/video-rendering-solid-wireframes.html

thanks for those tips, will work on that tommorrow morning when i have time.

progress- haven’t gotten around to the background and lighting stuff yet, i will soon

Attachments

diiferent lighting so you can see frontal details better. also smoothed out some rogh edges

Attachments

Can you post a wireframe and/or the .blend so I can add some decent critique?

here’s the .blend

Attachments

real camaro.blend (152 KB)

You’re making the same mistake I made for years. You’re trying to make everything as one model. There’s no reason you can’t break it up into manageable chunks. For example, make the hood, doors, trunk and such separate objects. It’ll make it easier to manage each piece and you won’t have to manage the topology of one huge object (which is near impossible).

That said, your latest attempt is a LOT better than your first .blend posted. Keep it up! :yes:

Thanks!
I’m not exactly sure i know what you mean by make each a separate object, could you clarify?

I classify the first attempt as FUBAR; the R is repair in this case, not recognition. This one’s not bad. I’ve been playing with it for a few hours and the result looks pretty good; although I’m experimenting with a yafray tutorial I found so rendering going to take an age. Unfortunately I modified it a bit more than I hoped so the topology is barely recognisable, but it’ll make a good exemplar.

Still some tips though. Avoid triangles if you can. They leave bumps all over the place that are ridiculously hard to get rid of. Add a subsurf modifier now, so that you can see what your mesh looks like smoothed out. Model each panel as a separate object to keep everything tidy.

Other than that, it’s just refining your model, smoothing things out, experimenting to see what works. I think Rogper put it that how good you are at car modelling is not defined by how good you model initially, but how much you can refine your model later… Good luck.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, recalculate the normals (Ctrl N) every few minutes or as soon as black lines start appearing.

I figure explaining it with video is probably easier to understand than explaining by text. Here you go! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2226086/BlenderArtists/CameroSepAndParent.avi Sorry for the crappy quality.

This is what I managed to make out of your camaro in a few hours.

And the .blend is attached. It’s rendered in yafray; gave pretty nice results. Of course, I rendered yours next to my modified one for a comparison (so you know I did use your model).

My tips are above, and I’m open to questions.

Attachments

real camaro.blend (217 KB)

Lamb, take a look at the car modeling tutorial at darkscarab.com. It simplafied things for me a lot and I was able to make some headway of modeling a car. Also, the great thing about the tutorial is that it takes you through modeling a 09 camero.