22" Monitor Recommendations

I want to upgrade my old 19" monitor. I need something that can handle at least 1,600-by-1,200 with no problems.

Also, aperture grille technology is out of the question because I don’t want to see the 2 horizontal shadow lines cast by the tension wires. LCDs are also out.

So the only type left uses a shadow mask. Can anyone give me some pointers or feedback for 22" monitors that you may have?

You could probably use a TV, you know. A high def TV isn’t much more than a 22" monitor is it?

I’ve got a viewsonic crt that I like. I’ll edit this with the model number when I get home.
PS- Typically I like NEC Mitsubishi screens, or Sonys, and dislike viewsonic. But this one is really nice, and its cheaper than the Mitsubishis.
It is very huge and heavy though. :smiley:

Right now I’m on a Sony Multiscan GDM-FW900 24 in Flat Panel CRT. It’s semi-widescreen and can handle resolutions up to 2304 x 1440. It has dual inputs with a selector switch on a rotatable front bezel. It’s an Aperature Grille, but I’ve never noticed the wires, even on pure white backgrounds. The only time I ever noticed was when I was reading up on Aperature Grille technology a year or two ago. And even then I had to search hard to find the VERY thin wires.

The cost of this monitor might be prohibitive, though, at around $1800. Excellent monitor though.

'kay, its a viewsonic p225fb (b for black) does upto 2thousand somthing by something at 85hz (I know real specific) I run it at 1600x1200 at 85Hz right now (seems optimal, somehow)
It looks good, colors are vibrant, very little edge distortion, and I don’t think it’s too pricey. I recommend it.

Thanks for the replies.

slikdigit - I was considering the p225fb, but it uses aperture grille, and I am concerned about the visibility of the shadow lines. Does it get a little fuzzy at resolutions higher than 1600x1200? Do you know anything about the G220fb? It’s not aperture grille and cost a little less.

RipSting - Your Sony sounds like something I’d buy. I was going to ask you guys to post a screen shot of a white background so I can see how prominent the shadow lines are, but then realized that shadows wouldn’t show up on a screen shot to begin with! You’d actually have to take a picture of your screen with a camera to see the lines. So forget about that idea.

Anyway, spending another $600 for a 21-22" just to get a little more resolution (from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200) and to get a totally flat screen, doesn’t really seem worth it.

A 21" can go higher than the optimal resolution of 1600x1200, but it won’t be as good, as far as I know. Maybe when high-definition, gas-plasma monitors come out things will be better and the upgrade will be noticeable. What do you guys think.

scorpius, you can see the lines- just barely. The one time I drove it higher than 1600x1200 it did seem a little fuzzy. I’m not sure if that’s the monitor of gfx card’s fault (geforce 3) The lines don’t bother me- that’s really up to you and how sensitive you are to this issue. Never used the G220fb, so can’t comment on that one.
The last 3 monitors I’ve used at work and home have been aperture grill.

The shadow lines are really not a problem, many people wont even be able to see them, and if you do, only by searching them. This technology has some advantages (stability when using for long hours, very focused) that you should not ditch without trying.

The brand I would recommand in any case is iiyama (their vision master pro serie). I own 2x19" of this brand and they are very good while costing 2/3 the price of the equivalent sony (at the time i bought them, some years ago). I don’t own a 22" but know them and they are as good afaik.

Also, more than one 22", you may want to consider 2x19", roughly the same price, much more screen space.

:slight_smile: just bought a second monitor yesterday…
19" iiyama vm pro…shop demo 99euro not even a finger print on it :slight_smile:

anyone in middle Netherlands-(amersfoort paradigit) they still got a few left
amersfoort paradigit Telefoonnummer: 033-4324386

Talk about some high resolutions, my graphics card does have the ability for very high resolutions, but I would need a better monitor as I did that once and it got all screwed up repeating itself pretty badly. And I personally think $1800 is too overpriced for a computer monitor for that costs more then most computers. You’d be paying more for a monitor then the computer that’s hooked up to it.