22 yrs = too old to have fun?

Hi all,

About a week ago I made a new friend, we both like collecting Yu-Gi-Oh Cards and playing Counter-Strike so we exchanged contact info such as mobile numbers and skype(free online telephone service) usernames. At first, things were okay but then he asked for my age. He couldn’t seem to believe that I was 22 as he was just 16 and didn’t seem all that interested in hanging out anymore. He said that he promises not to tell anyone that I’m 22 the next time I go to the market to buy some Yu-Gi-Oh Cards :frowning:

Is 22 really so old. I don’t look or feel that old. I feel that I missed out on quite a lot when I was younger and being so depressed most of the time I’m just trying to do the things that I enjoy and make me feel young.

Is my time really over? :expressionless:

Don’t worry! Your time will be over in about 60 years. :wink:
Until then you can play Yu-Gi-Oh, Counterstrike or whatever you like.
If anyone has a problem with that, it is their problem, not yours.

At 16 he’s still very intimidated by older people. 22 is seen to him as a grown-up and hanging out with grown-ups is an alien concept to him yet. Once he gets to 22 himself, he’ll laugh at himself for this mentality. I was past 30 before I considered myself a grown-up. :stuck_out_tongue:

My eldest brother is 26 with a baby girl and a wife. The X-box, computer, and big-screen TV in his living room are a pretty major part of his life too. Don’t take your life views from a 16 year old, I say.

Just because you’re 22 doesn’t mean you have to be too old to play things like that or many other games. I’d say don’t worry about it and have fun.

That’s right. But I still wish I was younger. Well, now I’m 13, so that’s not that logical, but still. Now I’m in the world of waking up, going to school, making homework and going to sleep :smiley: . I think you just have to enjoy life, whatever your age is.

hah, hell I’d love to hang out with someone older than me. My brother’s abput 25 or smth., it’s always nice to hear his opinion on any given matter.

The time is not over!!! You are never too old to have fun ;). And whatever is fun to you is fun to you–don’t let other people’s prejudices get you down.

Cheers,

b01c

It’s off to an old-people’s home for you solocreator… joke… you’re not old at all … I wish I was 22 again…

Is 22 really so old. I don’t look or feel that old. I feel that I missed out on quite a lot when I was younger and being so depressed most of the time I’m just trying to do the things that I enjoy and make me feel young.

I suggest you use your time in a good way, by trying to feel better and feeling more easy and light. One of the first basics of relieving depression is not being too hard on yourself… That means that if something doesn’t go exactly the way expected / or you think it should’ve… you should try to move on to the next without too much braincell-training…

md01

Thanks for all the friendly replies.

I guess the difficult thing is that a lot of people my age (in Germany anyway) like to go clubing and get drunk etc…but that’s just not me. I always try and do something productive with my time and take things seriously like making CG films.

Another thing that doesn’t make it any easier is that I can’t speak all that great German and many people don’t have the patience to be friends with me. Can’t really blame them. I must sound like a jibbring idiot when I try and speak German.

This forum represents about 60% of my social life. Another 30% is with my girlfriend and I guess 10% goes to chatting with my mate back in the UK.

I’d just like to add that I don’t go around looking to make friends with 16 year olds. It’s just this guy is very tall. I thought he was older than I was LOL. I don’t know what his parents have been feeding him lately :expressionless:

Thanks again

I guess the difficult thing is that a lot of people my age (in Germany anyway) like to go clubing and get drunk etc…but that’s just not me. I always try and do something productive with my time and take things seriously like making CG films.

Well, that’s what I was telling you… there’s a place and time for seriousness, but once you grow older and your experience grows (in all kinds of fields), you tend to realize that having good times and enjoying life is just as important as being serious… If there’s noone to tell you that / teach you that when you’re young, it can have a negative effect on the way you life your life when you’re older… Ofcourse it doesn’t have to be… be it’s possible…

I’ve found that good balance between things almost always the best…

Another thing that doesn’t make it any easier is that I can’t speak all that great German and many people don’t have the patience to be friends with me. Can’t really blame them. I must sound like a jibbring idiot when I try and speak German.

Well, the solution is to learn better German… I know… it takes time… but the solution is there… If you see the problem coming back all the time, it most certainly means something… it means you need to solve it… some things take more time / effort than other things… that’s life… I know it sux… but everyone has to do things…

This forum represents about 60% of my social life. Another 30% is with my girlfriend and I guess 10% goes to chatting with my mate back in the UK.

That’s okay if you’re working on the other parts… but take it from me … don’t stad still… .try to get a more non-internet social life… it’s all about experiences in life…

'd just like to add that I don’t go around looking to make friends with 16 year olds. It’s just this guy is very tall. I thought he was older than I was LOL. I don’t know what his parents have been feeding him lately

It all doesn’t matter… someone doesn’t want to be friends… fine… there’s plenty of other ppl out there… some will dislike you … some will like you … the trick is not to let some ppl get to you … it takes training… but it’s the wayu it works…

Okay… I am not playing shrinkt here… but I learned from experiences and I’ve had plenty of extreme things happen to me in my life … so these are some of the things wich have worked for me when putting it in practise…

md01

LOL, was his name Daniel Hoff? We had that guy as a foreign exchange student here in the states and he was friggin HUGE. Almost white hair it was so blond, striking blue eyes, and he was about 6’5". I would have sworn he was a descendant of Hitler’s children. He was 16 and he could have crushed me with one arm even though I was two years older.

I can’t believe this forum represents 60% of your social life with 272 posts. I could believe that about Kansas maybe, but not you. :slight_smile:

Geesh, you still play with Yu-Gi-Oh cards? You should’ve stopped by the time you were 18. I mean, it’s all downhill from there :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding. If you like to collect cards and play CS, keep doing so until you get bored (it happens, eventually). Don’t let others prevent you from having fun doing what you like.

I don’t know about the Yu-Gi-Oh cards, I’m only 15 and I wouldn’t be caught dead with them. Most (if not all) of my friends are adults (teenage definition: 20+), but to some teenagers, this is the epitome of uncool, and they won’t let an adult friend come into their life. Why this is true, I don’t know. Hey! I know, solo, maybe he would think you were cool if you showed him some of your renders!

my dad is 41 years and he has funn all the time. you are never To old for funn

my bud’s dad is like 45 but he still enjoyes play super smash brothers melee on the gamecube 8) and i’ll continue playing games till i cant move my hands anymore :smiley:

lol yeah me too

No worries …my 26 yr old brother has all the consoles xbox,playstation,gamecube and that takes about 80 % of his time, plus when he’s out he takes his gameboy wherever he goes and he’s favorite cartoon is YU-Gi-Oh (puking sound > *&@#&!! i can’t stand it) :wink:

Here’s a couple of thing to consider:

1. As the others in this thread are saying - I agree with them that you are NEVER to old to have fun - even if it includes collecting dolls, playing x-box-playstation-nintendo-commodore64. YOUR life is your life and you can do whatever you want with it.

2. Be aware of parents though. Parents are like you - concerned and worried about their family members so if you know a “buddy” that’s 16 or under AND you’re way over 20-60 be aware of the fact they’re going to watch you like a hawk - AND your neighbours are going to talk about the fact that they think it’s weird that their little “johnny” is with a stranger much older than himself (yes - we live in a VERY SICK society where people suspect everything and everyone for anything).

So even if you are having fun with your younger buddy - it COULD potentially destroy your life because people are starting to have “funny” thoughts about you even though to you it’ll be farfetched and stupid…it’s not to them. And as the rumours grow…well - Perhaps I’m paranoid but…I just thought I’d put in a word of advice from an ol’kid.

The more posts of yours I read, the more I can’t believe how similar we are Solo. I’m also 22, btw.

Same here. I really don’t understand the whole drinking culture to be honest. At school, I only ever heard people complain about it - like they were so drunk that they did really stupid stuff but couldn’t remember what happened and it also cost loads of money and I’d just think what’s the point in that?

But you feel a bit isolated when everybody else seems to be doing it. I feel that kind of ‘age’ thing but for me it’s not so much feeling old but just that I’m not a part of what young people are into these days which is an attitude commonly associated with old people.

I think because of the whole religious upbringing, I missed out on some key elements that help young people get ahead in life. I know you were educated at home so that’s more of an issue for you. A lot of the reason that people enjoy life and have the motivation to try to enjoy it is they have someone pushing them in the right direction.

Like people doing weight training have a guy to keep them going. At school and uni, I noticed nearly everyone had at least one close friend of the same sex that they would always hang out with and they pushed each other. But it should be someone with similar goals and ambitions to you, not some 16 year old who’s only worry is the exams at the end of term.

It might seem like a daft question and I can’t remember if I asked before but if I remember right, you’re not working in Germany, you say you don’t speak German and you’re depressed because you can’t make many friends because of it, so why are you living in Germany again?

Well, I have spent a bit of time here too. I wouldn’t say it takes up much of my social life now, though it did for a while. But hey, at least you have a girlfriend and a mate to talk to. Imagine your life without them and you’ve pretty much got my life except I’m in the UK.

Get closer to those people. Don’t they have other circles of friends they could introduce you to? That’s how a lot of things happen. My brother had pretty much nothing like me (I blame the parents ;)) but as soon as he found a girl, he got introduced to looooads of people. He even has an address book now. But some of those people have a wide variety of jobs and so it helped him secure some work through contacts. I might leech some to get into some sort of CG stuff.

Now he’s married to this girl with a secure job and a good set of friends in a place of his own and he’s the stupid one in the family (supposedly). I’m the one with all the brains and uni degree and IMO, I’ve got nuthin’.

Now, it seems like you are not underestimating the value of close friends and are trying to make new ones but I think you should stay to your own age group. Don’t try to find people who share interests that are geared for kids because you will likely find the people who admit they have that interest are indeed kids.

A few people have said that it’s ok to have fun and their parents do such and such but they are settled down and maybe have a comfortable lifestyle. I don’t think you have that yet. At age 22, you shouldn’t be thinking about fun - you’re starting out the toughest part of your life, fun can wait. You need to take more responsibility for where your life is heading. I’m gradually learning to do this too.

I’m not saying cut out fun altogether. Like md01 said, you need a balance. But try to think of what you want to get out of life and aim for it. I guarantee yu-gi-oh won’t help you out in a career in CG, nor will it help you in your relationships.