2D Art Practice?

I’ve been using the website http://artists.pixelovely.com/ to improve my skills in 2D drawing, it has a gesture drawing tool for both humans and animals, with the ability to change the length of time each photo is shown.

Are there any other sites like this, that offer easy to use drawing exercises? And if not, what drawing exercises do you use to help improve yourself in terms of 2D drawing?

Some people use stuff like Blu-ray Screenshots as reference studies for composition, lighting, and things of that nature.

I usually just draw from imagination, and whatever I find myself struggling with I take note and work on it a bit. I tend to procrastinate if I focus too heavily on just trying to get better at drawing, so I usually avoid doing long stretches of pure studies and things.

I know it’s probably not the answer you’re looking for, but grab a pencil and a sketchbook and get out in meatspace. Go to a park, a mall, a cafe, a train station… you get better reference[1] and time limits vary based on subject matter (if you want more time, draw the tired guy in a diner booth; if you want shorter time, draw the rushed business lady as she gets off the train… and so on).

[1] Drawing from life is better reference because you’re seeing in the round. You have depth perception. Using images on a screen or photos on paper is a poor substitute… without the foundational experience of life drawing in meatspace, you’re nearly guaranteed to end up with flat, distorted drawings if you start with only 2D reference.

Really awesome resource, found this one super helpful. Begun to create some sketches, with the stills as reference.

A BluRay or a DVD or a TV with a “HOLD” button that’ll freeze frame is good. A screen takes care of flattening 2D objects against the picture plane which is a bit “training wheels” but useful.

On top of that, studying movies and TV in particular exposes you to things like composition, lighting, editing, sound design and so on at the same time. If you’re drawing in order to learn to animate or create animated films, all that knowledge is dead useful. I’ve been drawing the compositions and action of “2001: A Space Odyssey” and it’s been really educational - and part of recording what’s happening in-shot has been gesture drawing.

Also, you can pause movies. You can’t pause real life in the same way, unless you’re drawing from a model.

Not to say drawing from real life isn’t also educational. Office workers are good for live drawing because they tend to stay at their desks and stay relatively still. I rip through thirty or more gesture drawings in my team’s weekly hour-long meeting because people are sitting down. I’m getting to the point where i can get a rough gesture drawing done in maybe ten seconds - although my workmates have started to notice me scribbling them down.

Cafes and diners are a good place to scribble discreetly, as long as you’re sticking with quick gesture sketches. Possibly libraries might work too.

As for public parks? Well, depends how windy and cold/hot it is. I don’t. I like the indoors too much.