3 button mice, and working without them

All right, here’s the question: Can you use the scroll wheel on 2 button mice as the middle mouse button in Blender? I’ve tried it before, I think, and I don’t remember it working although I might have imagined the whole thing. If not can you use Blender and not go crazy from hitting ALT all the time? I ask as I know the box select has circle select feature that I have heard can be scaled to size use a scroll wheel.

On a completely different topic, any chance someone would make a video tutorial of themselves working in Blender at in average speed? I’d just like to get a feel for long it takes, and how it look when they’re not make a video tutorial. I don’t really know enough about Blender to be talking here, but it might also show personal workarounds, or something which might be useful.

In the Setup buttons for Blender, you can turn ‘Emulate 3 button mouse’ on or off which might help. Other than that Alt left click is the solution, or buy a 3 button mouse with a scroll wheel. :expressionless:

I use the scroll wheel on my mouse for zoom, B tool increase/decrease, soft select increase/decrease for proportional editing. These all work with 3 button emulate on. Mind you if I press the scroll wheel, it works like a middle mouse button, does your mouse have this function?

Sonix.

Okay, I’ve got a 3 button mouse without a scroll wheel, but if I can use a 2 button, I’d be really happy. What exactly does the “emulate 3 button mouse” button do, anyway? Maybe it causes the scroll wheel to act as the middle button? As for if my mouse has this function, I don’t remember it being able to do that, but I’m not absolutely sure it has to do with the mouse.

3 button emulate, when on, lets ALT+LMB act as the middle mouse button.
When off, ALT+LMB won’t do any thing.

You can use the 2 button mouse, but you will have to press ALT+LMB for middle mouse button clicks. (& have 3 buitton emulate on) Then the scroll wheel should work I think.

Sonix.

Usually on mice with scroll wheels, you can click the scroll wheel as well as scroll it. In this case, the scroll wheel acts as button 3, so if this is the case for you, you already have a 3 button mouse with scroll wheel :slight_smile:

Usually on mice with scroll wheels, you can click the scroll wheel as well as scroll it. In this case, the scroll wheel acts as button 3, so if this is the case for you, you already have a 3 button mouse with scroll wheel :slight_smile:

i press down the scrollwheel for the third button also

H… Well, it appears I may be in the market for new 2 button mouse. I’ve already got one, but I don’t know if it will work. Does the scroll button acting as a middle button have to do with the mouse, or the drivers for the mouse, I wonder?

I’ve never seen a mouse with a scroll wheel that doesn’t use it as the third button.