3 lines for signatures

I was just thinking about this, and I wondered why there is no obvious rule that you can only have 3 lines (and no quotes) in your signature (besides in my signature). I have noticed doesens of people with a signature that is more than 3 lines.

Here are my ideas to prevent this problem:

1. There can be some kind of block that won’t let you have more than 3 lines in your signature, like when you try to have a signature that has too many characters.

2. There can be some large text above the signature editing box that clearly displays the rules.

3. (not recommended) there can be an automatic system that sends the user a Private Message if their signature is longer than 3 lines.

4. Remove this rule (this one is more of a joke, lol).

5. Give me the privelages to change people’s signatures (I already kind of do, every single person I see with over 3 lines gets a PM from me).

So, I would like to hear what the admins/mods think about this.

1. Sounds like the best method to me
  2. Too annoying
  3. Some people don’t read pms
  4. (No comment)
  5. You want to be a moderator/admin then?

I think the rule should be displayed somewhere.
I didn’t even know about it until Arr Matey told me!

whats the problem with more than 3 lines?

Some users’ signatures are longer than any of their posts.

well the number one suggestion shouldn’t be too difficult since I’ve seen it set up in other forums via character limits (like 255 characters including spaces limit). Can’t remember where the other forums is, sorry.

Why not just have a way to toggle them in the user preferences?
Then people who don’t like:

long signatures,
short signatures,
big font,
small font,
signatures with links
signatures without links
signatures with pictures,
signatures with animated pictures,
and signatures without pictures,
Signatures with misspelling
signatures with white space.
signatures that differ from the users name.
SIGNATURES THAT ARE IN ALL CAPS.

, can just turn them off and UN-annoy themselves

Dictating how people express themselves on an art forum seems like a really selfish thing to do in my opinion.
Why not make so that common things that annoy people, can just be turned off by the individual user that is annoyed?
i personally would like to see animated Avatars here…
Why?
Because blender makes cool animations!
why not have so that people who don’t like animated avatars , can just shut them off quietly without insulting anybody.
(eg…"your blinking avatar,and long signature does not meet the forum maxims, we find it in poor quality and would like you to remove it. Your taste in avatars and signatures are not acceptable here. All avatars and signatures must appeal to our art taste. all Signatures must adhear to the “Preference in self expression syntax act of 2006” )

personally, I have firefox… between “Adblock” and “Removethis” i can censor any webpage/forum to my shallow standards and maxims :slight_smile:

sorry for the novel, but I would realy like the freedom of self expression here and any forum…
If someone wants to make their own comments ugly, it should be their right. (as long as they do not take rights away from other users in doing so. Eg, a 4096x4096 bitmaped avatars, any signature that exceeds 1 page of text {80x40} )

It’s obviously a strange one. I had no idea there was a three line rule until my sig went to four lines and Ztonzy pm’d me to change it.

As for animated avatars, I agree that it seems odd not to allow them in a forum dedicated, in part, to animation. It’s even odder that there so many of them still around :rolleyes:

As I’ve heard before, it’s the content of your post that counts, not your avatar.

An avatar/signature is just to add a bit of personality to yourself. You don’t need a cool animated avatar if you make a cool animation.

You don’t need a long signature if you post a long, helpful tutorial/comment/joke/etc.

See what I mean?

I’m happy with the rules here, at least.

As I have received a PM regarding this subject, I would like to know exactly what is the problem? As stated there is no obvious rule stating that signatures may not be longer than three lines. If this is the rule it needs to be stated in the FAQ or somewhere. And once clearly documented I will abide by it as I am a guest here in these forums. But until then.

In response to point #1, I obviously side with myself an p00f on this subject. It is clear my signature is over three lines and yet there are those who wish to censor my expression. Besides I simply could add the contents of my signature to the end of each message I post with relative ease.

Point #2 is easily solved by documenting the rules and regulations of the forum in an easily accessable location on the site. Clearly there is no set policy available to users regarding much of what is moderated on these forums. When reviewing the FAQ, I could not find specific answers to some questions I had. I feel it is only right and proper for the site admins and moderators to clearly document and define what is acceptable and what is not. It should not be left to the interpretation of individuals.

Point #3 and the parenthesized section of #5 are confusing as in #3 you state that a PM to an alleged offender is “not recommended” and yet in #5 you endorse and initiate this very action.

And finally with respect to #5 are you sure you have the maturity, wisdom, responsibility and not least the temperance(moderation) to assume this power. Does your civics classes in Oregon explain your Constitutional rights that you enjoy on a daily basis? And do you understand why you have those rights?

Perhaps #4 is the best policy.

Besides I would have to change the first line in my signature to:

To be nobody but yourself in a world where Arr Matey!! is doing its best to make you like everybody else, means to fight the hardest human battle ever and to never stop fighting. - honeycomb
:smiley:

Kind Regards,

honeycomb

The Admins and moderators here are very casual, my above rant was ment to be some what sarcastic, and yet make a point.

in general I really dont care about signatures, and avitars… its the artwork we come to view and post that counts :slight_smile:

hope i did not offend anyone…

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best to make you like everybody else, means to fight the hardest human battle ever and to never stop fighting. - E. E. Cummings

There is nothing with which every man is so afraid as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming. - Soren Kierkegaard

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Henry David Thoreau
Yay! 8 lines!
Fight the power!
I would join in and make my link more noticeable (maybe even put my company’s slogan under it), but apparently the Moderators will delete it if I do.

This is our rule in this forum. All user that we see having more than 3 lines of text (counting spaces too), we try to send PM telling them to cut it down to 3 lines only, but as we can’t monitor everyone, we do it when we see it. A good example of this is one of the users replying in this thread, meaning honeycomb: can you please cut it down to 3 lines of text and no extra space? I Hope you read this text.

Why do we only want this? cause some posts in threads looks smaller than the users signature, not what we want. We are a graphics art forum and want to keep it clean.

Some other simple rules to follow. We don’t allow either Religious or Political content in the signatures, same goes for posts/threads. This is to prevent flamewars and personal attacks, as we have learned that not everyone accept other people beliefs.

cheers!

administrator.

3 lines of text
just reword that rule, to rows… Rows can be white space as well :slight_smile:

it denotes the desired size a bit better I think :slight_smile:

only programmers and computers count white space as something rather than nothing.

you see, with the term lines, a person can just do a continuous sentance, and because of the wrap around feature can consume more than 3 rows… but technicaly, it can be counted as a line of text.

my old signature was like this
"
==========**===

punish your television.

"
To me that is 1 line of punctuation nonsense, 4 lines of white space, and one line of text.

if it where me I would say, that we only allow 3 lines to keep the bandwidth of this site low… redundant things cost us bandwidth and money!

This is our rule in this forum.

Please update the FAQ with this and other rules and regulations.

Why do we only want this? cause some posts in threads looks smaller than the users signature, not what we want. We are a graphics art forum and want to keep it clean.

and

An avatar/signature is just to add a bit of personality to yourself. You don’t need a cool animated avatar if you make a cool animation.

You don’t need a long signature if you post a long, helpful tutorial/comment/joke/etc.

Having only 130 or so posts in nearly two years, I attempt to reply and post new threads which contain relevant and meaningful content. I find it regretfull that some of us are saddled with regulations designed for those with less than usefull insight into graphics arts.

What amount of content is relevant and usefull over a similar period when the users post count exceeds say 1000 or even 2000? It is my experience over the past two years, considering the content of many posts and the reported demographics of the posters, that many these members needs would be better served with IRC.

Yet this is the measure of how long a signature should be. I would have found “a longer signature takes up too much space on our hardware” more plausable, but not by much in this day and age of dynamic content.

We don’t allow either Religious or Political content in the signatures, same goes for posts/threads. This is to prevent flamewars and personal attacks, as we have learned that not everyone accept other people beliefs.

This I can understand. In much the same way I will not edit my first signature line to include Arr Matey!!s’ username. It was only meant in humor yet I can clearly see how it may be construed as a personal attack.

What I find a personal attack is when someone wishes to censor and edit a form of expression as personal as a signature. Arr Matey!! in your own words you state:

An avatar/signature is just to add a bit of personality to yourself.

Yet it is this very form of expressing my personality that you wish to censor. No, one or two of these quotes alone are not sufficient to fully express what I intended with three. Would it be acceptable to edit or modify a thumbnail of ones works because someone was offended? How much meaning and understanding of the work would be lost with black bars across “offensive” material? Should links to galleries be deleted simply because one does not like or agree with the content? Perhaps I should append my post titles with WARNING: LONG SIGNATURE in a similar fashion to renders including female nudity.

Finally you must remember that this is the internet and a forum. What real life consequences does the 3 line signature really have? Again, I can see where political/religious content makes an admin/mods life hell. My signature does neither. What it boils down to is an outdated fear of wasting valuable server space and someones belief that just because they are happy with the rules everyone is. Its not that rules are bad and unnecessary yet some are really just guidelines. The 3 line rule demands if not requires an individual consideration when the precieved line is crossed.

In closing I feel that I should be exempted form this rule with respect to my current signature and I ask the administrators and moderators grant this request.

Sincerely,

honeycomb

as I see it, the following could be done:

1. use principles instead of rules. like:
    a) you may not include religious, political, or distasteful text in your sig. forum staff will decide if material included is such.
    b) the suggested length of a signature is three lines, if you must include more to finish a complete thaught or idea, you may. However, forum staff will decide whether your additions are to be considered necissary to complete a point. Comments deemed ‘wasted space’ will be removed on contact.

-that way, important content, like in honeycomb’s sig, that exceed three lines, could be kept. However, the mods would have power to decide if something is wasted space, and could remove it. (like an added “3285643279687*(63748” at the end…)

1. another option would be to scale down the text size of sigs with more lines automatically. then if someone decides to post an essay, it would still fill the same amount of verticle space as other sigs, and therefore not disrupt the flow of the thread.

I already kind of do, every single person I see with over 3 lines gets a PM from me

Dude, you’ve got a lot of free time.

Slight rant (it’s late and I offer no excuse, but I felt it needed to be said):

We are guests. There are rules/guidelines. While they may not be in the FAQ or some other logical documentation point, they have been clearly stated; especially when they’ve been directed at you in a public forum or PM’d to you by a moderator or admin. Is it too much to ask to do the courtesy of following the rules/guidelines simply out of respect for the fact that we have this place at all?

Further, your sig and avatar does not define you. It may assist in identifying you in this medium, but it is in no way an innate part of who you are. The content of your posts do a far better job of painting a picture of who you are. And in honeycomb’s specific case, you’re not even expressing yourself. To the point, you’re expressing the points of three other people. That’s not self-expression. That’s an echo.

Sorry for the rant, guys. But perhaps a sentence or two in there strikes home or at least gets you thinkin’.

When on this forum have religious or political signatures been a problem? I hope you aren’t that uptight about people’s personal beliefs. :rolleyes:

no, I just added that because some people said it was necessary… I don’t mind religious sigs at all…