3 UV textures and the BGE

Okay… so i have three UV textures on a mesh, and I am attempting to assign each texture to a specific UV Texture.

When I am in shaded mode, everything looks neato, the textures use their corresponding UV textures, just the way I expect! But as soon as I press that P button, the UV texture reverts to the base (original) UV texture.

Note: I had this working at one point… perfectly. Then it stopped. :mad:

I’ve attached a couple example images… the one with the smaller texture is the correct one and is what is shown in Shaded mode. The giant one is what is shown in the BGE.

Attachments

well… I figured out how to reproduce the problem… (without giving any ya’ll a chance to reply).

It is linked to an issue with the BGE using more than 3 UV Textures. It appears it is only happy with 2. I’m not sure if this a bug or a “feature”.

Anybody familiar with the topic?

I don’t have an answer to that, but I might have an answer to your problem if you can use GLSL. There’s a limit to how many textures a material can use, but I’ve managed to go past it by using two materials, and using the node system to mix them in the desired way to form my final material

I’ll try it now and upload my test file if it works :slight_smile:

Sorry for doublepost but wasn’t sure if editing bumps, so…

Okay, I used GLSL and nodes to try and work around the UV problem, but as soon as there’s 3 UV’s or more involved the system goes nuts and only shows one UV at a time for me, even with one material handling UV1 and 2, and another handling UV 3 and 4. The problem here probably is that the result mesh still needs to have UVs 1 2 3 and 4 on it for all 4 to know their texture coordinates, well this system using 2 materials broke as soon as I reached UV 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

TL;DR: Sorry, I don’t think this is circumventable, we’ll just have to wait until this limitation is gone. :frowning: Maybe with a python math thing recalculating your UV’s from either UV1 or 2, but for radical changes I don’t know how this would be possible. And p.s. I don’t know how to do above with Python :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Mimterest, I don’t think there’s any problem with double posts in a support forum :slight_smile:
Thanks so much for taking a look at this! I didn’t even try to go the nodes route (admittedly, I’m not really familiar with them)

I found out that others had discovered the same problem back when the Apricot branch was in SVN, and texture splatting was made a reality. http://blenderartists.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1214347&postcount=27

What do you think, should I post this as a bug in the tracker? I can’t find any documentation stating the UV Texture limitation in the BGE (and there does not appear to be any problem in GLSL shaded mode).

This limitation is documented:

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-248/realtime-glsl-materials/

“The game engine supports maximum two UV layers and no compatible Orco texture coordinates.”

aha! Thanks for the correction jrboddie1.