31000x11000 pixel files

An customer send an 31000x11000 pixel file to our marketing. Thats a new record.
WTF, i cant imagine a PC that can handle this in a usefull way.

How have a PC to look to handle this BS?

341 million pixels.

What’s the file size?

The original .tif-file was 1,6Gbyte, converted to .jpg it is ~60mb.

Oh, and the correct size is ~37000 x 11000 pixel.

Overkill… Take it as it is and make the best out of it… Pro tip: Perhaps not a good idea to publicly comment on the quality of the image. Your client might be visiting this site too?

The chance is so low as the pixelcount of the image high :D, but who knows…

1 Like

Is this supposed to be displayed on a mega-screen in a stadium or so? There must be a really good reason to choose such a dimension. Also what about the level of detail? How things look in a good 500x500 rectangle?

Even though its not too common to have a resolution that high for images, it does occur.
The worst i had to deal with was this 92k 16bit monster haha:

No chance to open or save inside of Photoshop though – whereas Nuke handles those images without a problem.
Blender on the other hand is especially bad, as soon as you have big images in your blender file it becomes a living hell to work with. Everything becomes laggy and simple things hang for minutes.
Oh and i am not talking about the 92k texture btw, a few 4k textures and Blender already becomes painfull to work with. Switching to the material tab on the properties editor will stall Blender for several minutes just to load a useless 16px preview ball. Open up the material dropdown list and you’re in for a fun ride if you happen to have multiple high resolution images materials because Blender will load and preview all of your materials in the list … go make yourself a coffee or walk the dog in the meantime.

No, it is to be printed in catalogs/flyers.
I guess even for a super big screen with enough resolution would make no sense, you are far way to make a pixel difference.

Files that tall and wide are actually found frequently in advertising work, when the image is both big and is going to be seen up close. (Much the same reason for using a “large format” film camera.)

Yeah, I work in trade shows, and large format printed banners are common.

That resolution would be the bare minimum (100 dpi) for a 10’x30’ banner. I have seen printed graphics that are over 100 feet wide.

How’d they get something that big?