334 mb download on 28.8 dial-up

(Dittohead) #1

I just downloaded a 334 mb file. It was PHATlinux. Took 36 hours to download.

And

This is my 100th post too. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

(acasto) #2

cool… have fun with the linux ! :smiley:

(ectizen) #3

I can beat that :slight_smile:
RedHat 6.1, around 650MB.

First transfer: internet to home, 56k, about 2 days.
Second transfer: home to work (where the CD burner is), 28k, about 4 days.

After six days, I could finally install :smiley:

(Timothy) #4

I just downloaded 15mb,… it was debian Linux 3.0

since I downloaded on a cable line this took a whole 10 minutes. So I had to leave my computer on when I went to the bathroom.
But it was worth it I tell ya!!

(klopes) #5

Cool! Now, the only thing just left to you is downloading the desktop picture:

http://lwn.net/Articles/3470/?format=printable
Super! 8) Just look at Alan Cox…

(Schlops) #6

Hmm, can’t find Bill Gates on that picture, where is he??? :wink:

(klopes) #7

It was erased… houhouhou… >:)

(LethalSideP) #8

Wow. I practically have to blow on my modem to get any decent connection speed out of it, it’s so old… I did 20mb once thanx to an old fan I found ;D but that’s it. You guys are heros…How’d you do it? Freeserve?

(ectizen) #9

Serious? Sarcastic? … I’ll pick serious :slight_smile:

First, start with a largish, reasonable quality, external, fully hardware modem. Completely pull it apart. Cut a bunch of holes at the left and right sides of the empty case. Reassemble. Make a little stand to help the modem stand vertically on its side, with the new ventilation holes at the bottom and top (the stand could be bits of wood, Lego, whatever… A friend of mine had 4 modems in a toast-rack-style thing he found for video tapes). Your modem now has convection cooling - modem gets hot, draws cool air in the bottom, vents hot air at the top.

Second, get an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Run the computer and modem only from this - don’t overload it (monitor, printers, etc… stay with regular mains power, unless you have a really big UPS). Now, when there are minor glitches in the power, your modem won’t drop out or lock up.

Third, pick an ISP that doesn’t have connection time limits. Redialling the ISP every 4 hours isn’t fun.

Fourth, pick a phone company that has decent quality phone lines :slight_smile: If your phone lines are noisy, you’re never going to get high speeds or long durations.

Using the above, I get average connection times of 3 to 4 weeks on a single phone call (best was 83 days :o ), and I regularly excede 1GB transfers on these calls.

YMMV

:slight_smile:

klopes: that is quite possibly the scariest thing I have ever seen!

(Pooba) #10

You guys have SLOOOOOOOWWWWW modems! Jeez, i have dial-up and i can download a 300 meg download in about 6-7 hours. I want DSL so bad… :frowning: .

Pooba

(Jolly Gnome) #11

I once downloaded OpenOffice 1.0, about 47mb came smoothly in about 2 minutes…
for just 5 euros/month, unlimited ~512kb connection to Internet via LAN 8)

(Dittohead) #12

a 6"x6"x1" heatsync that sits underneath a Moterola ModemSurfer 28.8 8)

(Millhouse) #13

I’m in the UK with ADSL which is nice and fast but i want my schools t1 now!!!