360 degree render

For a while now, i have been looking for a way to achieve a unique effect that I just can’t figure out how to execute. Basically, what I’m looking for is a way to get a sort of “inverted panorama,” in other words, one in which the camera is moving around a stationary object or scene. The camera would be looking “inside” rather than the “outside” which is common for normal pano’s. I know there are things like turntable animations and object movies that are basically the same thing, however, I would like a way to render all 360 degrees of an object in a single frame. What I’m looking for is similar to cylindrical projection, however, I don’t know how to achieve this effect on non-cylindrical objects. Other unwrapping techniques are also similar to this but I would like the rendered background to be in the image as well. Sorry if this is confusing, I didn’t know how else to explain it, or else I wouldn’t have a problem. :eyebrowlift: Any advice would help. Thanks!!

That’s not possible because the Camera has to change the position for an “inverted panorama”, but in a normal panorama the camera is always at the same position.

If you wanna have the “Matrix-Effect” then you have set hundrets of camerapositions around your Object.
See here http://ggnome.com/object2vr

But I guess that’s what you already know.

Kind regards
Alain

I am trying, unsuccessfully, to visualize exactly what you have in mind. Can you draw a simple diagram showing the object and the camera, and/or is there any image out there on the Internet right now which is similar to what you’re seeing in your mind’s eye?

Pretty much all of the panoramic images that you may find are made of – or can be made of – a series of still frames, perfectly stitched together. An orthographic projection must be used, or the objects being photographed must be at “infinity,” so that the horizontals are perfectly-horizontal across the frame. If this is correctly done, and if the resulting images are then stitched together (usually, by a script) to “to-the-pixel” accuracy, then seams will not exist between them, and the final will be continuous.

Now, here’s one potential “geometric issue” that you must consider. If I’ve attached my camera to a turntable and I am photographing a distant scene, then I can basically treat each arbitrarily-small segment of that scene as though it were an image-plane which is perpendicular to my film-plane and perfectly flat, because distance makes this effectively the case. However, if the object is much closer to the camera (say, the camera is pointing inwards and is circling around a fixed object), I can no longer entirely ignore the fact that the profile of the image is semicircular and a (now… significant) varying distance from the lens. The result of stitching-together the images might no longer be “truly continuous,” and this for optical reasons.

Sorry for the double post, but basically, what I’m looking for is a way to render an image with all angles visible. So to set up an image in your mind, place an object on the inside of a cone with a glossy material with roughness 0.0 and place the camera facing the come tip from the open side. If you do this correctly, you should get a render with the object in the center and then a distorted circular image reflected from the cone. I was trying to think of a way to do this without setting up a scene like that. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I guess a way to do this would be to place a gigantic cone around the entire scene, put the camera at the tip facing inward, and then render. Thanks for the inspiration, but if that works (haven’t tried yet) then my problem should be solved!