3753 Roof tiles to animate

Hi there, I’m new to this forum. I currently have a project to do where i have to animate a somewhat simple deconstruction of a house. I have no problems animating, but for the roof tiles, given the number, this is quite a tedious task.

My aim is to have the tiles start flying off about 1% at a time at 1 frame intervals. Now i can easily move the whole lot to create the keyframes i need, and the only way i can find to do this is to move the keyframes up 1 object at a time on the dope sheet.

Is there any way i can copy a set of frames on the dopesheet and past them over the next few objects? or maybe its easy to write a script for this.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

You could use a mesh to layout the roof tiles. Set the particle system to deploy particles along a vertex group. The source mesh would need to match your roof model but have a vertex for every roof tile location. Then add a harmonic effector to the system that will cause the roof tiles to fly to another location at the required time. This way you are not keyframing a single roof tile at all.

Interesting question, looking forward to a more “elegant” solution than this, anyhow here goes.

I’d have a go using the NLA in a script… I’m assuming that you can use the same action for every tile. (or parented group of tiles)

In a script you can then loop thru the tiles and add a new NLA track with a strip that uses the action adjusting the starting frame etc. You’ll end up with a lot of NLA tracks… but only one action as opposed to a lot of actions. Not sure which would be heavier on blender.

Actually scrub that, I have a better idea, maybe you could use a mesh object and dupliverts for the tiles on the faces. In edit mode pick out 10% of the verts and make a shape key and so on and so on. Then animate the influence of the shape keys to make the tiles fly off.

Had to have a go at that, attached a sample file… i have no idea how to get rid of original.

Attachments

tiles.blend (76.8 KB)

using batFingers blend-file
i added another sample using
a particle-system.
Just press Alt-A and after 20 frames
the 1024 roof-tiles get blown away … …

Attachments

tiles.blend (754 KB)

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll have a look at all of these and let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Thanks everyone, used test-dr’s particle based solution, worked liked a charm!

Cheers