3D and the Open Web... getting away from flash.

I thought this was quite an interesting concept. I have never heard of Syntensity’s web engine.
I can see it now! have a python script in Blender that you can render and upload your animations to your blog or website FTP with the click of a single button :smiley:

That brings up the question, ¿ Can we use the FLV files FFMPEG poops out for commercial purposes? (going to go and check the ffmpeg license, and see what I can dig up now.)

With HTML5 you can view movies directly in the browser.

Flash is pretty good for interactive interface programming.

Googles 3D is interesting and I found it quite good.

But a native support of a 3d system would be much better
scripted via java script.

right! i’m looking forward to WebGL.

I totally forgot that one.

I seriously hope this will find main stream acceptance.

I still think flash is very good, for what it is made, but not really needed to play movies via a browser
and eat up resources like crazy.

Same with 3D content.

For the Win! :slight_smile:

i am also looking forward to o3d or webgl. but the problem is: how to do stuff like sound and physics with javascript? sound support is very poor and for physics javascript is still much too slow. hm… maybe o3d and webgl can be driven from silverlight/moonlight? then you would have support for c# and the bullet c# port.

performance will be an interesting aspect of WebGL, right.

a good reason for WebGL for me is that it’s an open standard. using microsoft’s silverlight for faster physics is kind of one step forward and two steps back from that point of view.

one question: doesn’t silverlight has it’s own 3D implementation? like direct3D built-in? in case one doesn’t care about whether it’s open or not one could go for an exclusive silverlight solution then.

well if you want physics I think there is no other way around than a plug in like flash and physics libraries.

I am not sure where webGL and opencl can go to and work together.

for a web support I would be already just happy about opening a 3d file and being able to zoom, rotate, trigger and animation like rotate or move an element.

one question: doesn’t silverlight has it’s own 3D implementation? like direct3D built-in? in case one doesn’t care about whether it’s open or not one could go for an exclusive silverlight solution then.
silverlight still has very poor 3d support. you can do some 3d transformations with wpf (or how this gets called) but this is way too slow for anything except some boxes or extremely low poly models. i find it strange that they haven’t added real 3d features already. they could so easily outperform flash. i think for developers silverlight is much more interesting because of the .net framework and all the supported languages which are much nicer than actionscript.

for a web support I would be already just happy about opening a 3d file and being able to zoom, rotate, trigger and animation like rotate or move an element.
this soon will be possible. i think the plan is to have the final version of webgl in firefox 3.7. i also want sound and physics though for doing games. :slight_smile:

I think FLV is dead anyway. It simply became a wrapper for MP4 when flash player 9.0 was released.

I thought Unity was going to take off and become the 3D web engine.

I thought Unity was going to take off and become the 3D web engine.

I did too until I found out there is no GNU Linux version for the web plug-in or for the engine itself. I do not understand why they did not do a Linux port.

I agree w/ @kakapo. how do you do physics ? How do you access webcam. Alot of this stuf can be calc. pretty descent with AS3 nowdays. box2d is ported to AS3.

BUT?! if WebGL where smart and want really to kill AS3. They build in physic libs such as bullet. wam! 3D physics on a mass-scale.

To kill of the webcam, dont just bring in webcam feed. Implement OpenCV.

If that’s implemnted in the Core WebGL that’s written in C or C++. That would truly kick ass. So with JS you just makes ROI’ (rectangle of interest) etc! for the facetracking.

Because I work everyday with Flash. And in my sparetime I’ve explored Processing/Java, and C++/openframeworks. And the power I see in open libs as OpenCV to facetrack and to do postprocessing calcs on the videostream is way beyond what Flash can do at its current state.

I would go with WebGL. I think O3D will merge with that. why have 2 OS projects to bring 3d to the browser. But what I’ve snapped up from the o3d discussion group @ google. There’s some difference in the Shading language between O3D and WebGL or, the OpenGL ES versions given a upper hand to O3D.

now that came from a O3D dev so… I dont know what to think about that.