3D Animation / Video Game School: Whats Expected of you?

Hi, for the past while I had always had my mind set on getting a career in 3D Animation and/or video game design. . . but I never really looked into “What was expected” from a person applying for such a school. . . See, I never really did anything big “project” wise that I can show off. I always find myself learning one thing, then moving onto something else, (like, I would start a project to help me understand specific modifiers, or character rigs, then I’d move onto something else forgetting about said project) and I was wonder, what do schools expect from you? Do they actually want to see some kind of “work” art wise that you did? Or do they expect you to show up at the doorstep with “interest” only and they teach the rest? I graduate from High school this June, and I don’t want to find out that all my interest and “knowledge only” has gone in complete vain. :no:

Thanks to anyone who responses, this has really been keeping me up at night :o

It depends on the school, Reno.

Here in California, I can go to a community college and take classes in computer graphics and animation with nothing more than an expressed interest. Of course, the good classes all have prerequisites, so I’d have to spend a few semesters sitting through basic “how to use the software” classes, making simple models and camera fly-by animations before getting into character animation.

On the other hand, getting into Otis (fine art degree granting art school with excellent reputation) would require a decent 2d art portfolio and a demo reel. And, I believe, recommendations from previous art teachers. Some of my friends managed to transfer from El Camino (the community college where I take art classes) to Otis, and it was a really big deal.

Fortunately, most schools have their information on-line. Look for the catalog rather than the class schedule. The catalog will have information on applying to get into the program, as well as prerequisites and detailed course information. The class schedule usually only has an abbreviated course description and the prerequisites, and only covers classes that are offered that year (or that semester.)

If you want to know how to become a animator you should understand that the answer may not be what you want to hear. It will require plenty of hard work and dedication, but once you get your foot in the door, you will surely become successful and who knows, you may become a household name. no other formalities which you have think, is not required.

I think you can set different kinds of schools in this game! It is attractive to different kinds of players!