3D Arrows

I am trying to create a single 3D arrow using Blender similar to any of the arrows on this page: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-6488056-3d-arrows.php

I am thinking that the best way to approach this is to draw a 2D arrow using lines and then extrude and cap holes, but I am new to this so I don’t know if this is the most efficient way to address this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eventually, I hope to be able to modify the thickness (maybe scale), color, bend, and length of the 3D arrow. Which seems to be way over my head for now, so I will stick with the 3D arrow for now.

Thanks,

use a 2d filled (/closed) curve with extrusion, then use a simpledeform modifier to bend it around, this way it’s fully non-destructive, i.e. you can easily change the form/bending, you can even round the edges easily. you could also do a flat 2d mesh, use the solidify modifier to give it thickness if you wish, and bend it around via modifier or by hand, but i would prefer the fully non-destructive curve-method over it.