3D Coat 4.5 Released

This is quite a big one. See the new features here http://3d-coat.com/3d-coat-45/

I’m most interested in the PBR features and the smart materials.

Well worth it

Yes, excellent program.

yeah… thats right. So much fun to work with 3D coat and PBR. Great step forward to me with everyting i do. Realy a good program that works well togehter with blender. Texturing, model transfer and pbr textures output works like a charm as far as i tested everything. Good program that is worth the money I think.

yeah… since i started using it, it has replaced blender in many aspects of my workflow. from painting to uv unwrapping.
once i figure out how to use its autopo (auto retopo) tools, there wouldn’t be much left to do in blender besides animation. it really is an amazing piece of software.

+1 here. I’ll always be a Blender fan now but I can’t remember the last time I opened it up. 3DC is just pure fun to use

This is looking really good, how well does 3D coat handle polygon counts? I’ve been looking for something to use instead of Mari or Mudbox. Mari is nice but way out of my price range.

i’ve never used mudbox or mari, but in my experience 3d coat’s performance is very good. it’s not as fast as zbrush when it comes to high poly counts, but it’s not that far behind. I’ve only ever gone up to 1 million verts, so i may not be qualified to judge regarding this.

it also offers a voxel sculpting technology (volume sculpting) which frees you from worrying about poly counts (on closed models) until you’re ready to export. if you’ve got decent hardware, you’ve got nothing to worry about. By decent, i really mean decent: 2GB RAM and 2.2GHz single core intel cpu with no discrete gpu.

I have gotten up to around 3 million polys and didn’t have hardly any slow down. This is on Linux with a GTX460 card.

I don’t have anything special ( i7 920 2.62, 650TI Boost, 12G of Mem ) and I can get up to 34M Visible Triangles albeit a little slow/laggy.

At 17M I really have no problems but I do have “Remove Stretching” unchecked.

I don’t have anything special ( i7 920 2.62, 650TI Boost ) and I can get up to 34M Visible Triangles albeit a little slow/laggy.

At 17M I really have no problems but I do have “Remove Stretching” unchecked.