3D Computer Graphics Using Blender 2.80 - Modelling Methods, Principles & Practice

Update: New Appendix 5 - Interface changes between Blender 2.8, Blender 2.9 and Blender 3.0 the few small changes you need to know so the book can be followed in Blender 2.9 and Blender 3.0

Pages: 522
Illustrations: 937
Format: pdf

This book gives a structured introduction to 3D modelling using Blender 2.80 giving an in depth reference to how Blenders modelling tools are used. Following the reference sections, the book guides the reader through practical exercises that explain not only how to use the tools, but also the design considerations for the model being constructed and the reasoning behind why the tools being used were chosen.

As the reader works through the book each reference chapter is followed by a chapter putting the tools of the previous chapter into practice. This takes the form of two main projects, a Low-poly house model and a detailed spiral staircase.

The low-poly house demonstrates the basic principles of working in 3D and shows how a basic model can be UV Unwrapped and then detailed with image textures.

The spiral Staircase is a much more detailed model that was chosen because its complexity allows the book to demonstrates many of Blenders modelling tools in a single project. The user is guided from adding the first circle of vertices to a completed spiral staircase set in a house scene that gives both a finished render and camera fly through animation. The process of modelling is described in step by step detail along with images of each stage of the process and the reasons why the tools were chosen together with the design intent. The reader therefore not only learns to model a spiral staircase, but also how to plan and create their own models.

The book was originally started in 2012 for the Blender 2.60 and , but unfortunately other work got in the way of the book ever being finished. This has now been completely rewritten documenting many of the new ways of working in Blender 2.80 and brought together into a book structured to guide both new and intermediate users in the methods and principles of 3D modelling.

Chapter 1: Basic Concepts of 3D Computer Modelling
Chapter 2: Getting Started With Blender 2.80
Chapter 3: Working In Object Mode
Chapter 4: Mesh Modelling In Edit Mode
Chapter 5: Mesh Modelling – Practice
Chapter 6 - Modelling With Curves, Surfaces & Text
Chapter 7: Modelling With Curves – Practice
Chapter 8: Modifiers – Reference
Chapter 9: Modifiers – Practice
Chapter 10: Materials – Introduction
Chapter 11: Image Textures – Introduction
Chapter 12: Lighting & the World– Introduction
Chapter 13 Rendering & Output – Introduction
Chapter 14: Animation – Introduction

My previous blender book was released back in 2007, the Precision Modelling Guide – A Guide to modelling parts and components accurately using Blender. The forum post is still available (though the book isn’t) with the feedback and testimonials for my work.

More details are on my Illustration website where you will find a chapter by chapter breakdown of the books contents.

2 Likes

The pre-order discount of 25% ends 12:00 hrs BST Saturday 24th August when the book goes live.

I have bought your book.
It is really good!
I recommend it!

1 Like

I bought the book as well. A great addition to blender learning resources.

Hope it’s ok posting here? I’m on page 148, just starting on the staircase riser, and am trying to snap-scale the outer curve inwards (Shift-D / S). But the duplicated & scaled arc doesn’t move across & snap to the vertex? Has something changed in Blender since you wrote this, or am I doing something wrong (probably)?

(Just to repeat, I have enabled Snap Affect Scale, circle-selected the 10 vertices of the outer arc, Shift-D, then S and moved mouse over the left-most vertex of the inner front tread edge. The mouse snaps there but the new scaled arc remains at the outer arc, not 86mm inwards. Hope this is making some sense.)

Hi Maggo, I think it is fine to post here, as long as Blenderartists don’t mind.

You appear to have found a missing sentence that never copied across to the master document. Most of my modelling is carried out with the Pivot Point set to 3D cursor, as the the 3D Cursor can be snapped to anywhere in 3D space it is a powerful tool for setting centre points.
If you click the Pivot Point icon on the 3D Viewport header and change it to 3D Cursor the process will work.
Under Figure 5-030 there should be the following two sentences.

To allow any rotational transformations to use the 3D Cursor as their centre point, we need to set the Pivot Point to 3D Cursor. On the 3D Viewport Header LMB click the Pivot Point icon and select 3D Cursor from the drop-down menu. (See Figure 4-023: Pivot Point on page 94)

Hopefully this will allow you to proceed with the riser model. I will certainly be adding it to my Frequently asked questions document and any future revisions.
Thanks
Rob

This looks really good.
I was wondering if you are going to do an update for the November 2.81 planned release?
There will be much added in 2.81, looking forward to the custom bevel profile addition that was submitted last week…

You can give it a try, download here…
https://blender.community/c/graphicall/qdbbbc/

I was going to buy your book today, but was wondering if I should hold off till there is an update for 2.81(if one is planned), or will you give a free update to people who purchased this version?
If the later, I will go ahead and buy this version today.
Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up on the Bevel Improvements

This is my first venture as an Indie Author, though I have been supporting Blender for more than 12 years with free tutorials etc.

I am planning on doing updates and revisions to the book, especially if Blender changes how things are done relevant to the content of this book. Whoever purchases the book will get any updates written for it.

There are plans for more advanced books as well, but I need to get a feel for how this is received as it takes many months of research, planning and writing to produce something like this when you are working on your own.

Thank you, Rob! That got it working, great! :slightly_smiling_face:

I highly recommend this book for learners like me, it’s very comprehensive & really reinforces the learning in you very well!

You are welcome, coming from Modo having this feature, it was sorely missed moving to blender.
I’m going to go ahead and purchase this book and I am looking forward to future advanced publications.
Thanks for the reply.

Over the past few weeks I have been working on a new section for the book.

At the moment the book looks in detail at the tools and methods of building a mesh model, this new addition will add around 50 pages that looks at the different thought processes that are used to successfully model complex shapes with Blenders Boolean modifier. It details the pitfalls that often make the Boolean operation fail and how to plan your model so this doesn’t happen.

boolean-anim-tiny

The update is planned to be ready for release on 27th October when the Introductory price ends and the book goes to full price. Though anyone who has purchased the book before the 27th will receive the update for free.

The book has now been updated and contains:
Pages: 506
Illustrations: 915
Format: pdf

More details are in the first post.

I have just added a small update to the book which corrects a couple of typos and adds a link to the image used to create the Tread Plate using curves. All existing purchasers of the book have been sent an updated link.

More details about the book are in the first post.

Another update for the book has been added which brings it up to date with Blender 2.82

The book now contains 514 pages and 924 illustrations

More details of the book are in the first post above.

For anyone self isolating and looking for something to constructively fill their time, I have reduced the price of " 3D Computer Graphics Using Blender 2.80 - Modelling Methods, Principles & Practice" from its current price of $24 back to its introductory price of $15

1 Like

To bring the content of the book up to date with Blender 2.83’s modelling changes, I have released an updated version.

Fortunately the only change that impacted the book was changing the Merge short cut from Alt-M to M, however this was used at 35 locations in the book so notes have been added at each location.

More details are in the first post and at http://www.robertburkeillustration.co.uk/book-3d-modelling.php

I have just added an updated version of 3D Computer Graphics Using Blender 2.80 - Modelling Methods, Principles & Practice. This includes a new Appendix 5 - Interface changes between Blender 2.8, Blender 2.9 and Blender 3.0 containing the few small changes you need to know so the book can be followed in Blender 2.9 and Blender 3.0

Also a big thank you to everyone who has provided suggestions and pointed out typos, many of which have been included in this update.

More details are in the first post and on my illustration website at: https://www.robertburkeillustration.co.uk/book-3d-modelling.php

Just a heads up for anybody considering getting a copy of 3D Computer Graphics Using Blender 2.80 - Modelling Methods, Principles & Practice.

Back in March 2020 I discounted the book to the pre-introductory price of $15 from the normal price of $24. This was to help people who had just gone into the first COVID19 lock-down afford the book and be able to use their forced free time to learn Blender. As COVID19 has not been contained and ran on much longer than first predicted by experts, the world is having to learn how to live with the virus. With the majority of people have now returned to work, I will be returning the book to its normal price of $24 on the 1st February 2022.

I would be nice to keep it at a discounted $15 for students.

Hi Dinesh

I am always happy to help students learn and have emailed you a discount code for the book.

Back in 2007 I gave away a 151 page E-book, the Blender - Precision Modelling Guide which I estimate has been downloaded over 1,000,000 times over the years. I wrote " 3D Computer Graphics Using Blender 2.80 - Modelling Methods, Principles & Practice" as I am now working in the gig economy and used time between paid jobs hoping it would provide some casual income to help keep food on the table between other jobs. Sadly people aren’t as keen to purchase books as they were to take them for free and sales of the book has barely covered the cost of the graphics workstation it was written on, and gave almost nothing for the many months of work needed to write it.

However if anyone has a special need for the book such as students, send me a message via my Robert Burke illustration contact page with your reasons why you want a discount and I will see what I can do.