3d cursor with 3d rotation

What do you think? With this we can give a rotation to 3d cursor and we can use this rotation in all transform functions.

I think the 3d cursor should be killed, so we can make Blender look and behave more like 3ds Max.
[/heheheh]

But seriously, yes… I think it would be nice if the cursor could be transformed like a normal object. Make it behave more like an actual object… and don’t let it follow the mouse when it’s not necessary.

Well, I guess that’s about all gripes I’ve got with the 3d cursor :slight_smile:

I Agree, that would very good solution. An option to hide/show the 3d cursor would also be neat (so you could hide it when you don’t use it). Acually that’s pretty close to the new working pivot feature in 3ds max 2008…

Yes, that functionality would be great.

But how to rotate it comfortably, without too much complicating the control over it? I would propose a few new command in snap menu, like reset rotation of the cursor, set it to the section. And also a sort to rotate freely, something like it is now with objects.

The new 3d cursor would certainly need a new Transform Orientation.

Menu/shortcut commands aren’t flexible enough imo.

I think it would be much better if the cursor would become selectable. Then it would automatically have the same snapping abilities as normal objects, it could use the constraints and even the manipulator.

That would be ideal.

Oh, and highlighting for the 3d cursor would be nice as well then :stuck_out_tongue:

3D cursor = 3D object. Problem solved. You could even design your own. Make a new class for 3d objects called utilities, make 3D cursor a default object for this class. Add more objects like construction lines, tape measures, dimension lines, etc.

I think nobody will dislike the cursor after that.

“I think the 3d cursor should be killed, so we can make Blender look and behave more like 3ds Max.[/heheheh]”

he he he? you want to kill one of Blenders best features for the sake of making it more like Max? For centering a new view position and for translation properties and object insert this 3D courser is amazing and I miss it a lot in other programs.

But I agree if the 3D widget could be rotated itself.

I think it would be nice to be able to turn it on or off, and perhaps have the option to map the action of placing it in the 3D view to a keystroke rather than a mouse click. That would free up the mouse button for something else, like a context menu, or some other kind of tool or menu. I like the idea of the 3D cursor behaving like an object that can be dragged and snapped etc.

I would personally like to be able to use the primary mouse for lasso select or some such thing, as I never use gestures. Anyway, that’s a bit off topic. But perhaps these are the sort of things that will be coming with the event refactor?

Dan,

I think your suggestion for a different button makes sense. You do not need to set the 3D courser so often. For example a key = click would be good. Quite often you can reset the 3D courser by accident and have to re position it.
With a required key pressed first this would not happen.

I think his tongue is firmly in cheek on this one.:wink:

:wink:

(pigs fly 10 characters wide)

mmmh… the smell of sarcasm! :slight_smile:

I think it would be nice to be able to turn it on or off, and perhaps have the option to map the action of placing it in the 3D view to a keystroke rather than a mouse click. That would free up the mouse button for something else, like a context menu, or some other kind of tool or menu. I like the idea of the 3D cursor behaving like an object that can be dragged and snapped etc.

I believe BeBraw has a patch that allows you to lock the cursor. This is similar to what you mean, I think except that you have to re-lock it again when you’re done…

What I just thought about: wouldn’t it be nice if this new rotatable “object-3d-cursor” could also display a plane (like the grid) or axis at certain times (keypress or so), so it could be used to visually align things to? And perhaps even have a custom snapping space in space? (that sounds really odd, I know! :ba:)

It would be great if the cursor could be given its own role in the view, instead of leaving it there as a 3rd party citizen. Agree about the hiding as well.

And for those who still think I was serious: no, I wasn’t :slight_smile: And for those who do not know what happens when endi, the author of this topic, sees the words “3ds Max”: go read his posting history. He seems to be a bit traumatized by an old experience with 3ds Max.

(which I can fully understand because 3ds Max really is the most utter piece of shit known to mankind in many ways. I just couldn’t resist poking some fun at him, sorry endi. I promise I won’t do it again ;))

oogsnoepje

hey a definable construction plane is a good idea!!!