3D graphics used for Plastic Surgery, was on TLC on cable..

Did anyone catch the “surgeon” show on the learning channel a couple of nights back ( http://health.discovery.com/schedule/episode.jsp?episode=2083378003 ) where some surgeon used some gaudy 3D program like Poser/bryce to plan plastic surgery for a woman who had sever tumors that disfigured her face [looked like the elephant man], by scanning her head in 3D, and scanning another womans head with desireable features, then taking a surface from the perfect face flattening it to determine the proper dimensions of skin to be grafted and supposedly the amount of cartilage that would need to remain [in this case to replace a nose]… They also grafted muscles onto one side of her face to allow her to smile. Its interesting how applicable 3D graphics can be to the real world, even to the point of modelling for plastic surgeons…

No no no, the surgeon didn’t cut the skin from the perfect woman’s face, that would be too easy…

Of course that surgeon was probably just using that to get some publicity… But hey he stuck up for using 3D to do it… Any blendering surgeons??

No, I didn’t see it. I have a weak stomach and can’t watch medical shows on TLC. Regardless, 3D graphics do have practical applications in fields other than design. 3d was used to reconstruct faces and identify massacre victims from skulls recovered from mass graves. 3d was also used to reconstruct the face from a neolithic hunter gatherer. I cite such examples when people tell me I am wasting my time “playing” with 3d animation. I am not a blender surgeon, but as a university student, I used a 3d app to do a presentation on forensic animation for a sociology course. It would have been much better had I used Blender.

Developing 3D skills being considered wasting time would be the same as considering learning a programming language wasting time.

You can make a career from each, you can use each to enhance other careers (Like the Black&Decker guy), and you can do each as a hobby. You could compare it to developing your written language skills too, but many people think a bit more of programming being purely a career skill.

Imp

Developing 3D skills being considered wasting time would be the same as considering learning a programming language wasting time.

You can make a career from each, you can use each to enhance other careers (Like the Black&Decker guy), and you can do each as a hobby. You could compare it to developing your written language skills too, but many people think a bit more of programming being purely a career skill.

Imp[/quote]

I live in a place where doing something OTHER than what the majority people are doing is considered a waste of time. I use Blender for a hobby and to possibly develop a 3d career as well.

I don’t understand the Black and Decker guy example. Can you elaborate please?

Sorry, it’s been posted here in a couple places, but a guy at Black and Decker picked up blender 2 weeks before a big annual corporate meeting to create opening and closing animations for the main corporate breifing. 2 weeks of using blender. The executives were so impressed, he got a promotion with a $20k/yr raise. :slight_smile:

Imp

Cool. I read that, but I didn’t remember that he worked for Black and Decker. Thanks for clarifying that for me. That’s encouraging, considering I’m can’t find a regular job. Maybe these all- night 3d animation creation sessions will pay off some day.