3D Manga model price?

Hello

just was wondering, is 4.99 $ a good price for this?

http://www.3dexport.com/items/2009/09/22/19006/18810/manga.jpg

Details of the model

i kept it for 19.99 USD for a whole year, and didn’t sell at all.

Attachments

Manga is popular, for the most part, with young teenagers, who have no money (again, for the most part)…I sell models on Turbosquid, and am always surprised at what people buy and how much they are willing to pay. I have sold these logs about 20 times for $9, for example. Not sure why…

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-logs/479789

So, it’s hard to say. $5 is fair for the work involved, sure.

I can tell you. If someone needs them as prop for a game or animation they´ll buy it.
I myself buy stuff on Turboqsuid from time to time.
The time it would take me to create those logs, find the textures and create them would surely be more than 15 mins, so it´s cheaper for me to buy them than creating them myself., on top of that, I can continue work on other things. Call it outsourcing if you like.

And it´s more likely you need some wooden logs than an anime face for a commercial project. Same goes with containers, barrels, trees. That´s the stuff you´d need in a scene but usually don´t have the time for.
Unfortunately (for sellers) you often enought get those props free as well.

Agreed - generic props do sell better. The weird thing is this - I actually sell things that are available free elsewhere. Crates, barrels etc. I just price them lower. The average price for one of my models is $18, but things like crates and barrels are a good bit lower. People just buy what they like, I suppose.

I think you all have valid points!
but let me ask a sub-Question, what if I make a DVD that teach how to make Manga and suppose it is detailed and well made, do you think people require a topic like that?

I know that lulu.com just make DVDs on demand, so there is a small chance of loses.

here goes an experimental manga of mine…

http://qemum.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/conan7-11b-tagged.jpg

I wish there’s a detailed accurate answer for this.
ps: what about making the DVD aimed for 3DMax users, I know how to use 3DMax as well as Blender.

I don’t think so coz blender cookie has an excellent character creation book coming soon…

i’ll suggest you to pick a different topic.

for anime head, placing myself in place of a costumer i wouldn’t have bought that. Thats coz what good a head could be to me? Instead i would have gone for a completely built anime character.
sorry for bad english im in a slight hurry right now. dont get me wrong the head looks good.
best of luck for your exam.

Finding a niche - and that’s essentially what you are doing, is tough. For example, I make pretty good money modeling game props as well as product design renders for local college students. Of course I make a lot more money making the renders, but the props are there day in and day out, earning a little at a time.

That’s the best answer I can give. As with all businesses (you should treat this as a business, at least in your thinking), you’ll have to research your competition. You may have to fit yourself to a niche you find - I hate rendering, for example, but I pay the rent with it several months in each year. I’m a real time modeler, and can’t stand fussing with renders. But for $400 - $500 per product, including 3 renders, hell yes I’ll render. Working one one right now.

As pointed out, I doubt there is a demand for an Anime tutorial. If you´re good with anime, I suggest you offer character sheets for anime chars people can work with. IMO that´s a rather rare thing. And I talk about good character sheets…

It wouldn´t matter. If you do a good DVD the software choise is mute. It´s about style, proportion, topology… that´s the same in all tools. Maybe a chapter about the shaders and material setup for anime renders for various tools in the book and rendersettings.

I prefere generalized books. A book about digital lighting holds much more value than a book over “how to setup your lights like pixar does in tool xyz”. An anatomy book holds much more value than a book “how to sculpt a nekkid gal in zbrush”.
If you do a book/dvd about anime who cares in what tool you push’n’squat your faces in? If you can´t do that already, go learn the basics :wink:
However for some it is nice to have a “red line” through the book, like creating a char while learning the basics. But I often find it annoying when I want a book about a certain topic and then 40% of the book is “basics about tool XYZ” - information I don´t want. (others might want it)

Finding a niche - and that’s essentially what you are doing, is tough.
what about stylized modeling like this?

http://qemum.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/render_03.jpg.png

or a DVD about
Blender Game Engine: Zero to Hero

these are the topics I can cover
1-Blender Game engine: Zero to Hero.
2-Anime.
3-Cartoon/steampunkish style. ^ as above
4-Robots of this kind

http://us.muttpop.com/var/us/storage/images/muttpop-blog/zone-of-enders-second-runner/221337-1-eng-US/Zone-of-Enders-Second-Runner.jpg

or
selling models.

It’s a very specific subject, but I promise you that any book you write and self-publish as a pdf will sell. How many copies, who can say. If you were famous in the Blender community, you’d sell more. There are a lot, a ton of free tutorials out there for blender, and a lot of books (self-published pdf and bookstore shelf books), with more coming all the time. The best advice I can give is to give it a shot. You’ll have to qualify yourself as an expert in any field in which you choose to write: Selling models for example - you’ll have to have sold a lot of models. I could write a few pages on that, as I’ve sold hundreds of models, but it’s really pretty straight forward.

At the end of the day, it’s all about marketing and presentation. A slick website, with great images, proof of your expertise, and a sample page or two will help. You’ve got the advantage of having a huge audience here on BA. The ability to advertise in your signature is worth a lot.

Steam Punk is big now - huge, vast. Last summer, 25% of the costumes worn at Dragon Con were Steam Punk.

It’s a very specific subject, but I promise you that any book you write and self-publish as a pdf will sell.

ebooks are hard to write, video DVDs are easier to produce ,more easily understood, and harder a bit to pirate.

If you were famous in the Blender community, you’d sell more.

I have asked BlenderCookie and cgmasters [link becuase they are new] to market my DVD and they welcome the Idea.

You’ll have to qualify yourself as an expert in any field in which you choose to write

then it is the game engine or the steampunkish cartoon style.

At the end of the day, it’s all about marketing and presentation. A slick website,

is www.Qemum.org an example of a well-designed website, forget about the Alien language.

You’ve got the advantage of having a huge audience here on BA. The ability to advertise in your signature is worth a lot.

yes, this is an important thing :slight_smile:

Steam Punk is big now - huge, vast. Last summer, 25% of the costumes worn at Dragon Con were Steam Punk.

emmm :slight_smile:

As you´re about to spend serious time and efford, I am blunt as usual but to help you not to insult you :slight_smile:

You might want to make a test-video and maybe create a google questionaire or a poll in this forum and let users deceide if its easier to understand you when you speak. I have no idea how your spoken english sounds, your grammar and word order ain´t that great.
I often notice myself, that my sentences are build all wonky because in my brain they are still german and I translate on the go.
Your cultural origination might also give you a slang people can´t understand properly. I sound like Schwarzenegger in Terminator 1 speaking english unless I really, really focus or I am already speaking for a longer time. People would most likely buy my tuts for the funfactor :slight_smile:

So you´d have to write a script anyway to read along, or record the voicover afterwards to have straight and proper english. And a sideproduct is that you got your written tutorial already. You might as well take frames out of the video and you got your ebook. So why not do it professional and do both.

Standup, speakalong video tutorials ain´t that great sometimes even done by a native english speaker, I guess you or me would painfully fail and my impression is you want to do something serious, professional… :slight_smile:

And pirating? True, an ebook would take me 4 seconds to downlaod, a full dvd almost 25 minutes. The days are long gone, at least in central europe, where size prevented piracy to an extend.
If people want to pirate they do it, if they want to pay they do it.

I have no idea how your spoken english sounds, your grammar and word order ain´t that great.
I already made an experimental 11 minute video tutorial about making Glass to have a feedback about this…

Your cultural origination might also give you a slang people can´t understand properly.
this is how the glass looks like

__
::::::::::::::::::
direct : Download Video Tutorial

::::::::::::::::::

__

So you´d have to write a script anyway to read along,
or record the voicover afterwards to have straight and proper english.
aha, voice over [post recording of audio] is a good idea, let me think about it.

Standup, speakalong video tutorials ain´t that great sometimes even done by a native english speaker, I guess you or me would painfully fail and my impression is you want to do something serious, professional…
will slice tutorials into small ones so people can seek easily, and save their time.

I am blunt as usual but to help you not to insult you
ready to listen to any criticism here…

thanks.
edit: soon will start a poll.

That is nice work. I would pay US$1,000 for your works if I had plenty of money and little time.

oh, one of the things that would encourage me to pick the BlenderGameEngine DVD is that I have succeeded in connecting it with arduino

http://qemum.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/blog_pic1.jpg

http://qemum.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Interface.jpg

you can control the stepper motor with the blender game engine!
arduino can control BGE [real sensor controls a 3D car]
BGE can control arduino [when a car collides with a wall, it turns on a light on the board]
this is a hot topic i would like to cover.

Sounds fabulous. People will be interested.

I think more people would buy tree models than the former mana one. its good, but i am saying more people would buy a good low-med poly pine tree. Say for around 40-50$ or more.

Nice work! The figure of personage is pretty vivid! Keep going on!

thanks all! :slight_smile: