3d modelling career help.

Hi, I am currently doing 6th form in the UK doing my A levels, and I got it into my head last year that I wanted to do 3d modelling as a career.

As you would expect, I picked up Blender, did some tutorials, and made some crap, mediocre at best stuff, and I can’t seem to do anything worth mentioning to ANYONE.

After worrying, alot, about how good I would be when I actually applied to university, I wanted to ask: When starting a 3d modelling course, how skilled do they expect you to be, and at bare minimum, how good would I be required to be?

Struggling with Blender, and am really panicking as uni approaches D:

(PS: Sorry, I didn’t know what forum to post this in)

Blendercookie has nice tutorials, and do more traditional stuff, drawing/sculpting from life to hone your eye.

As you would expect, I picked up Blender, did some tutorials, and made some crap, mediocre at best stuff, and I can’t seem to do anything worth mentioning to ANYONE.

I would like to make the quick observation here that this is a good start. I see more people with the far worse problem of having no self-criticism at all, and producing mediocre stuff but never learning because they don’t develop their eye for what looks good and what doesn’t.

+1

One of my art professors told me that the true sign of a real artist is that they are never happy with their work. They can always see ways that they could have improved it. Your most important skill will be humility.

My major is not 3d animation/modeling but I’m pretty sure that you’re NOT required to know any 3d application. In college you will learn either Maya or 3ds max but Blender is a great app to start. All the techniques that you learn using Blender can be used in other 3d apps (ex: modeling, animation, texturing, and many more). Watch tons of tutorials and practice, practice, practice.

Tutorial sites:

Blenderguru.com
http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

Thanks all, I feel alot calmer about the whole thing, I’ll just have to practice more :smiley:

Bloody 3rd dimension.