3D on mobile any one

Hi all blender artist

I start to work on a mobile content provider,
as any other graphic work I do, I check where I can use blender.
My question is does any one in here know what 3D formats can be exported from blender for use in mobile application / format (real time formats), The application is written in J2ME, but any start point will be good

TNX

Eyal

M3G format, there is Blender exporter

TNX, They told me something in here about this format, I looked wrong in google, so didn’t find it…
Do you have any experience with this ?
need to get some more information before I suggest it here…

Thanks any way

Eyal

hi this looks really cool, but how do you get the m3g file or java file into a .jar file that you can use?

I only tried examples in that site (there is viewer included), compiled them in Java IDE (I use Eclipse) and they worked on my mobile well. I also did changes in models to check if they will be shown in mobile viewer - worked without problem.

Perhaps have a look at OpenGL ES. There have been some advancements made there recently. (People were looking at refining it for the GP2X)
Brew and OpenGL ES Development Tutorial
This tutorial contains instructions for setting up a BREW environment and emulator and starting to code for OpenGL ES.

OpenGL ES is fine for smartphones with Wndows CE (maybe Symbian too). But for mobiles with J2ME it’s not usable.

It looks like it might be useable…
Java Micro Edition Binding for OGLES…but it looks like it is still early days on that one.
More info here
Hopefully it will work out to be handy as it develops further but for the meantime I would think that you are right to stick with the standard api.

But it’s still for smartphones and PocketPC only. If OpenGL ES is not available on mobile (mobile has only J2ME), its Java Binding won’t be usable.

Aah, sorry. I had seen GLes running on ARM under Linux and wasn’t aware. I thought that it was simply a case of bundling the library with the application and letting J2ME call it directly.
My bad.

No real point using OpenGL ES, as JSR 184 (the M3G format) will be put on top of it when available, and you’ll need more Java method calls, therefore probably slower than an app using the M3G mechanism.

Another useful one is Mascot Capsule, who have now got a Blender exporter in beta on their website. This engine is much faster than M3G on the devices which support it (primarily in Europe this is the recent Sony Ericsson handsets) mainly due to it’s use of integer mathematics, whereas M3G uses a lot of floating point, which mobile phone processors aren’t exactly good at.

I am aware of a very very very high profile game in development using JSR 184 (and Mascot Capsule) and Blender (although the team in question had to rewrite the exporter somewhat) but due to the wonders of the world I can’t mention it yet.

M3G is a very nicely designed standard, but the handsets able to really use it are still not getting into the market quite enough. There are also bugs in the different handsets. Sharps used to have a problem with Sprite3D projection, for example. The newer Sonys (k700 onwards) and the new Nokias (6630 onwards) are really getting good though.