3D Studio Max 7

(digital_domain) #1

Hi,
I just downloaded 3DS MAX 7. I have come to appreciate how good Blender really is. For example, i’ve only started learning 3DS Max but already i see the limitations of view points in 3DS. Blender your free to explore and edit 360 degree view point. 3DS MAx you seem to fixed with side top front view etc. It can be rotated and edit but nothing like the simple use of holding down the middle mouse button and panning. Sure, 3DS got all the texture and material set ups for yout disposal but i feel a true artist should be able to create these from scratch anyway.
Well, i stick with 3DS for the moment, cause im told its the best (alongside Maya) however, its yet to be shown. Im thinking Blender is truely the one ‘manual’ orientated 3D application with great flexibility. I’ll let you know when i know how to use 3DS properly.
Any1 know of any good ‘starting out’ tutorials for 3DS.
Thnx.

0 Likes

(darkcgi) #2

I have extensive knowledge of 3DSMAX and it has its pluses but it doesnt stand up to blender
not even. I could elaborate but its not necessary.
2 of my friends use MAX at work and I showed them some stuff on blender and they were like
wow you can do that and its free awesome.
They call me a BlenderHead.
as for tutorials www.3dbuzz.com
register for free and watch videos on how to max

0 Likes

(oogsnoepje) #3

*falls out of chair :ba:

0 Likes

(yogyog) #4

3DS Max 7 in relation to Blender…

Plusses:
Camera Tracking (not that good, but OK)
Rendering (Slower but better)
Built-in tex liberies and help (This is the big one)

Minusses:
Auful low-poly modelling
Auful rigging system
Uses far more power
No Sculpt mode
Soft-body limeted to standard primitives

The main way to explain the difference: - Blender tools are knifes - simple and adapterble, caperble of being used for a lot of things, where as 3DS Max tools are devices for removing apple cores. There’s more of hem, but they’re not as good.

0 Likes

(Berk) #5

I just started taking classes this fall in character animation and game design. I am new to 3DS Max but have been working with blender since the beginning of this year. I knew I was going to be taking classes so I wanted to get some experience modeling before I got into class. Sure the interface is different but the theories behind modeling are similar.

Anyway, I don’t consider myself proficient at blender but I have to say that when it comes to low poly modeling I REALLY miss using blender. Maybe its because I have just started classes but the way I have to add modifiers to get at the sub-level polygons, lines and verticies is really annoying. I like being able to get down and dirty quickly like blender does it.

0 Likes

(Extrudeface) #6

Auful rigging system

I don’t agree here. Since Max 6 mirror weighting works in practically any situation. Character Studio is very nice also. the bones it has…they have they low points, but some pretty strong. I do prefer customizing a CS biped when possible. (I’ve animated with both systems, and also, with Blender ) For modelling I prefer Wings, but I like Blender and Max aproaches.

Uses far more power

Big true.Also does a heck of a load of things, but really, does use as effectively th epower for same polygons, at least, that comes as a result of a sum of factors, maybe. It has drivers specialized for professional 3d crds, where things are very different. Ayway, Max 9 is out there, and 10 in the works.

I am enjoing at this moment Blender animation, though. but still feel a bit better with Max one.

0 Likes

(Extrudeface) #7

3DS MAx you seem to fixed with side top front view etc. It can be rotated and edit but nothing like the simple use of holding down the middle mouse button and panning.

At a “user” view (you can do also in “perspective”, I prefer user, which anyway switched to it automatically if u do alt+Middle mouse button. U can ajust ur own keys, tho, I remeber rotating and doing almost all with keys, one chunk of months I was obsessed with keyboard…Not anymore, in any tool, but a mix. )

alt+MMB
and for panning, MMB
zoom with wheel

lol! I used Max at work…In many jobs. Makes a difference for knowin such a deep package. is a neck saver if u know it well.And still I am never one of the “max guys” at a company…I allways convince (have skills, mwahaha) to use other tools in the areas tehy asign me…Unless it’s character animation: then I prefer allways Max.

Sure, 3DS got all the texture and material set ups for yout disposal but i feel a true artist should be able to create these from scratch anyway.

you can do all by scratch in Max, too. It has * many * features, this package, while some are not well ended, the sum of it all is a heck of posibilities and quality results.

Of course you can get quite quality with most of tools out there.

Still, the thingy keeps costing 3,500 $

0 Likes