3d to 2d and corel import?

Ok more than 1 question really.

I have a logo which is fully 3d… and in blender… when I render a pic it looks great.

I can export it to dxf and try to import that into corel draw but the proggy doesn’t like the file… too complex I think.

So actually the question I think is… can I flatten my 3d mesh… but flatten it so that it’s new flat shape mimics the way it’s seen through blender’s lense.

So I don’t want to just flatten it but I want it to be resized as well… hmm

And secondary… anybody know what is required for a blended mesh to export to dxf and import into corel correctly???

Don’t use coreldraw so I might be missing the point here. When you export as dxf you export mesh geometry. Don’t you want to export an image as in .tga or .jpg?

%<

No I don’t want a .jpg

In that case I’d just render which works perfectly.

I want to have the 3d shape (or its outline) as seen by the camera in blender. But somehow I want that as a “2d curved shape” (like nurbs curves in blender) in corel draw. That way I can put it in a font or for instance resize it to whatever I want for printing without loss of detail.

The easy way would be to render an image and then trace it manually in corel draw. But that’s a lot of work and I want to do this more often… and it’s just not very precise, unless you want to spend a lot of time.

if i remember right, dxf can contain 2d and 3d data. corel might “understand” only the 2d part, which is obviously not present in your case >> it doesn’t import anything.

your part of the question which says

reminded me, that this was somehow possible with lightwave and illustrator (again with dxf as exchange format). i think it was illustrator’s part to flatten the 3d data into 2d-shapes as seen from the viewport. so you might wanna try that?

HTH

marin

hi

i’m having the same issue. i draw a webcomic, and would like to do my backgrounds in 3d, and then create a “flattened” version of the vectors for use in adobe illustrator. so far, the only two ways i’ve found is to use adobe dimensions (which is only useful for extruded or revolved shapes), or wings3d, which i haven’t successfully been able to tweak enough to produce desirable results.

has anyone figured out a good way to do this yet?

thanks,

-s

Nah I still haven’t found a satisfactory solution.

I think the only way would be for someone to write a python script to export to 2d dxf curves as seen through the camera… But if anyone’d write it??? I don’t expect so.

found this in my search today… http://www.elysium.co.jp/3dtiger/en/download/index.html

downloaded and installed the demo, and it does exactly what i need it to. few problems though…

1. they seem to be going out of business or something as of october 1

2. it costs $200US, and i don’t have that.

i’m still mucking around w/ wings3d to see if i can get decent results, but the export feature still seems too beta :frowning:

-s

inkulator.sf.net?
it can render a obj file to AI file

That is sooo cute. Neat little proggy… not too exact though, it seems to only create straight edges, so in my test case it basicly made a few thousand points, but it does work.

Still not quite what I was looking for.

All I’d actually “need” is something to basicly convert a set of curves made in blender to a set of curves in an ai file… that would be prefect.