3d vehicles and copyright

There is nothing wrong with discussing this subject. As a subject it should be brought up more often. Because most artists are clueless about it. Which is why this is the last place you want to come here to ask for what you can or can not or should or should not do.

There is a large difference between discussing it and getting advice or asking for it.

As far as specific advice. Sorry no. You are incorrect. This is the last place you should come. And the last place you should ask. And other artists are the last people you should think about asking for reliable information. Because as I said, most are clueless.

Additionally many artists have an axe to grind with this issue. Which is interesting considering that you as an artist have your own intellectual property to protect.

There are very specific guidelines for free speech and fair use. They vary from country as well. Yes. There are also plenty of court cases that set precedence for situations that come into the gray area.

It is a layers job and area of expertise to be up to date on all of the court cases that would apply as well as any law changes that occur. Much of a layer’s work has to do with the study of case law. That which has gone before. And all the time there are new challenges to meet with the changing technology and other factors.

The bottom line is, where you will wind up if you violate any of these laws is at best, looking at a letter from a law firm that may or may not even be fair or within their right to ask you to cease and desist. This happens. There are some cases where IP is in the public domain yet are perused aggressively and illegally by a corporation or foundation. So knowing the law can also protect you. And in the worst case you will wind up in court and sued. And loosing or unable to afford defense and loosing anyway. Right or wrong.

People take this subject far too lightly. And it is not a defense to say you did not know. And I love these people who upload videos and say “I do not own this. This belongs to the copyright holder” or some other such nonsense. It is actually hilarious how stupid people are on this subject. As if that disclaimer would save them. Like walking down the block with a stolen Rolex and getting caught, then pointing to an engraving on the back that says, “I don’t really own this watch. It isn’t mine”, and then having the cops laugh at you all the way to the jail cell.

So the bottom line is. The best thing you can do is get yourself educated. It is not hard to do and the resources are there. Then you won’t have to come here and ask stupid questions and get a load of equally stupid answers.

And for those things that are hard to understand there are lots of lawyers who offer free advice.

This site here lists a bunch of them. And as you can see you can scroll down and see the number of articles these lawyers write. It is a great way to advertise. A little free information to catch some clients who need some kind of real help and willing to pay. It is also a great source of education on the subject along with the government sites.

http://www.hg.org/law-firms/usa-copyright.html

Here is a UK site with some articles:

Gov Sites

USA:

UK