3D video walkthrough cost

Hello everyone. I would like to ask a question about the cost of 3D walkthrough video.

I have for now a rough idea of what the client is aiming for but as I never did a complete walkthrough on my own I need an advice about the price from you guys.

Its gonna be a private house. The ground floor with six rooms and nearly the same number of rooms for the 1st floor. The kitchen, the living room, dinning room would be needed to be modeled with all elements. Also two bedrooms and one bathroom. The house exterior also would need to be modeled completely as the video would make a whole tour of the house exterior. The surrounding yard of the house also will be modeled with a garage, with one car or two, and swimming pool. Important note also is most furniture are going to be modeled to the customers taste.

Amount of time I will have will be about 2 to 3 weeks renders included and the video would need to 1080p. I estimate the video to be about 5 minutes long must be as photo realistic as possible.

Great day to you all.

Well, for photo realism, 5 minutes will be a lot so you need to account for render time or render costs. That is a little hard to project without knowing your skill set but figure for me I render a frame in around 18 seconds at 1080p. That’s 36 hours to render on my own machine so I have to charge for almost 2 days of work if I render that myself which begs the question, can I profit and is it cheaper to farm it? I give flat rate estimates based on the jobs and scale involved. For a project like yours and the details you provided, models I would charge $500 because I am probably kitbashing some of it and that saves me some time, $250 for lighting because most of it is practical lighting and nothing too crazy. As a walk through you have less room to use hidden or studio lights. $400-600 for materials and UVing depending on how much of the scene can be kit bashed. And if the kit has materials already and their quality. $100 for camera animation, Add $200 for the probably day or 2 of test rendering and trouble shooting. $300 for the rendering. $300 for compositing and $150 for the edit because it should be a pretty straight forward edit. Basic color grading and cuts etc.

All in, depending on the client I would probably charge $2400 average, realistically the price could range between $1500 and $5000 depending on my client and my circumstances, and also just how much of it I am considering a passion project, which you would know better than anyone here.

To be clear, this are MY numbers. Based on your skill level, experience, resources, and ultimately your client and how much you are worth to them, you may get a bit more than 2400 or you might get WAYYYYY less. The other factor is your location. Clients aren’t stupid and they know when they are outsourcing. I know people in Europe and Asia who really can’t charge more than half what I can on a good day to an American client, and I have had the talks about it multiple times. That works the other way to. You should be considerate of clients in countries where the USD is worth significantly more because you might just not be worth it to them. That caveat begins to melt more with your personal skill level and if you are with a studio or agency or if you are personally freelancing but it’s really an issue of experience and good objective self evaluation and just figuring out how far your willing to bend and if it’s reasonable.

It may sound like a lot on paper but realistically, that’s time, and the time til your next job. Your clients are paying for the project time and the time til your next one, and for all the projects you have to pass up because of them, And this is not a small project. Additionally you are likely not working with the large kits and libraries available to larger studios that allow them to keep their prices down proportionally and bust out photo realistic production renders in days. Keeping that in mind I have a friend who works for a studio doing that and they charge WAYYYY more because they typically work in bulk doing 5-20 houses at a time for large developers and charge well into the tens of thousands of dollars. They can do a whole development in a week or 2 but they are a large team with terabytes of libraries at their disposal. Their job is mostly drag and drop, light, link to the farm and render and the next day boom, done. He also gets paid hourly and for all that work he keeps pennys on the dollar because of the resources he has and the stability of the work.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply. I have a good machine so I will do it on my machine. The new node denoiser is really a blessing. Also, I have checked around and the price for render farm and for about 5 minutes of video, the price is quite high.

I am going for less than $1500. In the time we are, someone must accept to get a bit less profit or nothing at all. Also I have made a quote for static renders which is really less so we will see :slight_smile:

1 Like

I definitely agree times are tough right now. I’ve been cutting a lot of breaks to my clients and subclients because like you said, right now there is a real risk it’s either lower or nothing at all. Value is definitely dictated heavily by the market and the market can’t afford our normal rates right now :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

5 minutes of 1080p will take a lot of rendering especially a photorealistic interior render.

The price looks unrealistically low for 5 mins of 1080p. Are you going to model everything yourself or use pre-made assets?

What happens if your rendering takes longer than you anticipate and you are bound by a contract for $1500 and you end up needing to use an online render service?

My only advice is to cover your backside from potentially making a loss on the job.

I definitely agree, but it also begs the question, does he have another client he could have been working for instead? On the one hand, there is the argument that I usually follow which is, this client is paying for the time between them and my next client which may not come for another month or two, and I have to survive till then. The other argument is, is it really a loss if the alternative is no clients at all and $1500 is less than his worth but not really a “loss” at that point. I mean, I definitely would charge more. Based on his description I would estimate nearly $1000 more, but he makes a good point that unless your client is a large company or corporation, private clients are not in the mood to pay a lot of money right now. They are trying to cover their necks just as much as we are which is why they’re hiring us in the first place. They are trying to make a sale quickly and get things off their plate to reduce loss, which is exactly what we are trying to do. If we over player hand then it could backfire.

I think Even with the very thorough post he made, it’s a little hard to determine how far I might push, if it were me, without meeting the client myself I’m trying to determine what it’s worth to them and what it’s worth to me

The way I look at it, if I get myself locked into a contract for a video that I thought I could render locally and then discover in order to meet deadlines I have to pay for more for online rendering than the contract value so I could find I make a big loss.

I’m only going by the description, 5 minutes of photorealistic rendering of an interior in 2-3 weeks etc is a big job. What are the render times per frame? Is this an Eevee render or Cycles? With Eevee fair enough but Cycles, good luck.

Definitely my thoughts. I know from experience for me I could render that in about 24-48 hours, Give or take 12 in either direction in a worst case scenario, across 1 or 2 of my machines but that comes from the experience of doing it and knowing my machine so it begs the question, is @Ludovic_L as certain of his approximate render times as I am?

It depends on render time/frame.

Hello Thanks for response. Actually I am open to the idea of using a render farm for the interior scenes. But what I have seen until now is not encouraging. The few sites I have seen are expensive.

Like @ThorntonStrolia was saying I am not aiming for a big gain. Its been about 4 months now that no jobs have com in locally, so I am accepting to lose $500 to get at least something to hold. Future is not so bright everywhere.

My only fear is that the customer goes for even to a cheaper artist. I have seen walkthrough done for ridiculous price. The quality is not there but client got a video to show.

For my render time. On my machine it would take 4 complete days to render everything. But on that point I have time on my side. I have a decent machine not a monster unfortunately.

Already told the client how much time the render would take for the quality he wants. He is ok with it.

I’d love to know your frame render times and what hardware you have. You must have some serious hardware.

When I’ve done interiors with C4D+Redshift I’ve hit 10 mins/frame at 1080p on 2x1080TIs. I normally send rendering to the cloud for anything over about 2 mins/frame for long projects.

P.S. Good luck with the job, these are extraordinarily tough times and I hope as many of us get through them as unscathed as possible with businesses and health intact.

@Infograph Hello. No I dont have a beast actually. I have an intel I10750H with a RTX 2060 supported by another intel graphic.

Before I used to render my scenes with 800 or 1000 samples. Took me forever, still had noise and of course I would never have been able to quote for an animation work. But now with the denoiser node, a complex renders is possible with 150 samples to 250 samples. I still go to 350 samples for a still render. Also I use both GPU and CPU at the same time.

My renders take between 1min50sec to 2mins15secs with a 200 sample. A render with trees, grass, two persons and one or two cars.

I usually shoot for 500 with denoising and I fall between 11 seconds and 1 minute a frame typically and some as little as 5 seconds but I also optimize the living hell out of my renders and render between 2 and 5 machines so I can squeeze my tira time down. Across all my machines I have 2 1080ti, 2 780ti cards, and several 750m on the laptops. So I have a decent set of options for rendering. If you expect it to take you 4 days, I mean, that’s realistic for your machine I think. Conservatively I would tack on another day to that in case of artifacts needing rerender or just longer frames bringing down the average.

Yes I may have to add one more day. You never know if the client want changes.