3ds importer porting for Blender 2.80 is done?

I’ve been spying hard on when 3ds import/ export functionality will be ported to Blender 2.8/ 2.9. Looks like it’s done or at least in advanced development stage and it’s already usable.

Please see there: https://developer.blender.org/T66329

There is a DIFF file shared and I don’t know how to use it. It’s not a fully usable add-on itself, right? How can it be turned into a usable script that I could install in Blender 2.8 or, preferably, 2.9?

I completely don’t understand devs’ discussions. I’m just a beginner user, so I don’t even dare to post anything on DEV forum. Just want to know if the data they shared on the linked page can already be used as a functional importing add-on.

There is also export_3ds.py file. Maybe that’s the compiled add-on? I installed it for Blender 2.90, got a message looking like a successful installation, but I cannot see the add-on on the list in Prefs. Perhaps I should install Blender 2.8, because the add-on is not compatible with 2.90? Or maybe I should use the DIFF file, but how? So many questions, so little answers.

It ships with blender… at least in the daily (2.92) builds it’s there…

Thank you!
Haven’t seen the newest build. 2.90 didn’t yet have it.

I would also like to find the script in the addons folder of 2.92 alpha, but I cannot see it!

I searched for “3DS” and windows didn’t find any file.

Blender Prefs say that the script is in “addons_contrib” folder, but it appears empty! I have hidden files shown in Windows settings.

I haven’t checked the daily builds but @TheRedWaxPolice say’s it is in there…
But if the .diff file is just a Python file so if you rename it to .py you should be able to install it for testing…

I’ll give it a shot in a second, but I guess the script in the 2.92 nightly build is the newest available, so I’d love to find it in Blender folder and try to copy to 2.90.

I think I resolved that.
Reboots do miracles sometimes.

I found and copied the addon to my 2.90 folder and it works perfect!