3Pointedit - Sketchbook

blobby words.blend (548 KB)

Here are some examples of fluid or blobby text. The text object is still dynamic so that you can replace the font or change the spelling. You can use Bevel to exaggerate the thickness or offset with a minus value to make the font thinner. This effect requires bevel, extrude or Thickness modifier to work. Tight kerning can give a cool splotchy look. The surface effect is just the toon spec in Blender Internal. Use multiple lights.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Wow, brilliant experiments here, and huge thanks for sharing your blend files to learn from !

No worries, thanks for stopping by. I wish more people would come and grab them :wink:

An interesting effect suggested on twitter. Real straws acting as a catching surface for an image behind. Uses a long lens and defocus. Is cool if you distort the arrangement of straws as well.

boney structure.blend (2.33 MB)This is animated as blobby martian weeds but works as an x-ray as well.
The shape is derived from a simple plane with some modifiers.

1 Like

texture bool.blend (578 KB)

Here is the Boolean test from a texture, enjoy. I have parented the hole cutter to the receiver mesh. The texture is positioned by an empty.

Made with Animation Nodes and thousands of samples.
Heres the setup. I am using a Text object as an attractor to control the particle shape, this way I can edit the text or animate it still. To get decent coverage of the text shapes I emit particles from a plane that sweeps over the Text like a paint brush.

Wow!!it’s really not bad.

Ever wanted to stretch an image from side to side? Don’t want to use the Projector node because its to round? Try these nodes and a texture:

Chromakey in Cycles material nodes.

A fake mask by hacking texture mapping. Alter geometry of plane. Start by subdividng then dissolving the faces.

Nifty things go around in this thread. keep it coming!

Recently I needed to generate a regular series of planes evenly spaced. I used an array but have since discovered that I could have used a simple material with Brick texture.

It turns out that there a bunch of cool effects that I can create with this simple material.

And radial effects as well.

See the next post for a demo file to download

PIXEL WIPE1.blend (515 KB)

Here is the bands material blend file:

Wow…! Haven’t been on this thread for a while, there’s a lot of awesome new stuff!
Can’t thank you enough for sharing your tips and findings, they are very helpful for motion graphics :smiley:

Hey there, welcome back. Thank you for saying that, it renews my Blender Powers :wink:

Hey 3PE can you put your VSE text titles file up here on your sketch thread? I can’t seem to find it in my USB stick of hundreds of blend files, lol… Tanks in advance! I’ll post my changes to it here too… Fracture ON!

Found it! https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?290648-Text-in-the-sequencer&p=2367973&viewfull=1#post2367973

VSE titles.blend (629 KB)As per @JTA’s request heres a more direct link to VSE Titles with drop shadows and outlines.

Wow, just went back through my old uploads to BA… that’s a) a lot, and b) embarrassing. So I’ll post some :smiley:

I’m sure there were older ones but they seem to have expired off. Here’s my appalling modeling skills (before sculpting was a thing), and a fluid sim with BI material (before Cycles was a thing)

Attachments

Hmm, some more oldies from the archive!
A parking garage that I was going to fill with water, until I tried the fluid simulator (best forgotten) and the start of my love for the array modifier and DNA. Oh and a 2.49 screeny for the chuckles.