4:3 -> 16:9

So here’s my challenge.

I have a regular 4:3 video that I’d like to convert to a 16:9. Just cropping top and bottom of the frame would work, but the results in some shots would not be ideal.

I was thinking of a sequence plugin that would allow the user to position a 16:9 frame on the 4:3 video image and copy that video to the output buffer. Of course it would be fully controllable by IPO, allowing the framing to follow the subject say as they move from top to bottom of the frame.

From reading the sequence plugin documentation, it looks like the input and output buffers must be the same size. That could be worked around say by copying the target frame onto a letterboxed 4:3 template. Or even resizing the image to make an anamorphic 16:9 filling a 4:3 frame.

Has anyone seen a plugin like this for blender? Would this be a good approach? Is there a better way to do this in Blender? Or can someone suggest another 3rd party tool that cold do this? (I’m sure avisynth could, but I’d need something to generate the offset for the framing for each frame of video).

Thanks,
Chris

In the composite nodes there is a Translate node that will shift the entire frame(s) you select.

Don’t know if that will help or not, I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to do.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I’d thought about nodes, but I haven’t played with them until this evening. So what I found was, after getting past the bugs that were fixed between 2.42 & 2.42a…

• I have to use still images (I’m on XP and “FFMPEG for Windows/OS X is scheduled for next release”)
  • The translation is not controllable by IPO
  • The translate node doesn’t appear to operate the output of the previous translate node, but instead operates on the original image? If I translate -120 in y, then +60 in y, shouldn’t I end up with an image missing the bottom 120 lines, but centered in the middle of frame? Not, as what appears to happen, just +60 y? Maybe the screenshot will help - I expect the image in the viewer, but shifted back up again - a nicely centered headshot. Am I missing something?

http://pxegeek.home.comcast.net/blendernodesetup.bmp

I think that nodes may be the way to do what I want eventually, but right now, I’m still thinking that a sequence plugin is the way to go…
Thanks,
Chris

I had to do this kind of thing with Premiere 6.x. It was hell.